"Lost to Light" in Buxton

Jenny P

?LOST TO LIGHT? is an exhibition by ISSA (the International Society of Speleological Artists).

On from 20 August to 29 October at Buxton Museum and Art Gallery, Terrace Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, SK17 6DA.  T. 01629 53340, www.derbyshire.gov.uk/buxtonmuseum

Open - Tuesday to Friday: 9.30am to 5.30pm.
          - Saturday:  9.30am to 5pm.
          - Sundays and Banks Holidays from Easter to the end of September:  10.30am to 5pm.

Stunning exhibits: paintings, drawings, sculptures, mixed media art, models and even art made from "cave-related detritus".  Entry is free and, in addition to the special exhibition of spelaeological art there are other fascinating galleries with displays of local minerals, crafts using these minerals and lead mining.  Well worth a visit!

zippy

Paid a visit last weekend - there is some excellent work there  :)
(and it's free to get in!)

Z.

Lisa_K

I'll be honest I was a little disappointed.  :-\

Not with the artwork, like all displays not all of it is for everyone, and some of it was absolutely stunning.  (y)  I was hoping to see more pieces that had been bought out of mines I guess, there was less than a handful of cave pearls, a nail, bottle and a couple of other little bits. 

But for a freebie it certainly wasn't bad.  :)

zippy

Arguably, the artefacts found in mines should be left exactly where they are & not brought out at all - especially cave pearls!

But if you want to see an excellent mining collection, the mining museum in Matlock Bath is very good indeed..

Z

moorebooks

Lisa_K said:
I'll be honest I was a little disappointed.  :-\

Not with the artwork, like all displays not all of it is for everyone, and some of it was absolutely stunning.  (y)  I was hoping to see more pieces that had been bought out of mines I guess, there was less than a handful of cave pearls, a nail, bottle and a couple of other little bits. 

But for a freebie it certainly wasn't bad.  :)

The NAMHO guidelines are quite clear artefacts should be left where they are found for future explorers sadly the Pikeys and Trophy Hunters abuse that and too much stuff has been lost

Mike