A new cave in Cheddar Gorge?

rhychydwr1

Just 200 yards up the gorge from Reservoir Hole is a large rock shelter.  When I had a look yesterday, it appears to have been opened up into a large cave, judging by the enormous pile of rocks at the surface.  Does anyone know the name of this cave?

graham

The reason that I was not 'slightly more helpful' is that there are, in fact, several caves in that part of the gorge and I felt it would most assist Tony if he was able to narrow down for himself exactly where the site he is interested in is.

I can guess, 'cos I know what's being dug in them parts, but I might still be wrong.

rhychydwr1

Sounds like Sow's Hole.  Does anyone know who is digging there?  It is a bit difficult to descend this cavity on my electric scooter.

Simon Wilson

rhychydwr1 said:
Just 200 yards up the gorge from Reservoir Hole is a large rock shelter.  When I had a look yesterday, it appears to have been opened up into a large cave, judging by the enormous pile of rocks at the surface.  Does anyone know the name of this cave?

Is the dig within the SSSI and if so has permission been granted by Natural England. I think it unlikely that such damage would occur in the North since most of our karst areas are protected as SSSI.

cap n chris

I understand that the dig has all the relevant permissions from landowner, NE etc.. I also understand that gaining them wasn't anywhere near as onerous as might otherwise be imagined, which is a good sign of useful working relationships existing.

Mark

I do hope its on Crow land, or looks like being another entrance to Reservoir hole,

The forum needs more debate on these issues.

Hughie

Cap'n Chris said:
I understand that the dig has all the relevant permissions from landowner, NE etc.. I also understand that gaining them wasn't anywhere near as onerous as might otherwise be imagined, which is a good sign of useful working relationships existing.

I would concur with the above. It's quite surprising what you can do in an SSSI with the appropriate derogations and discussions. Usually get an on the spot verbal answer, with paperwork only involving crossing the "t's" and the "i's".

graham

All relevant permissions have been granted and no it is not on Access Land, although it is an SSSI.

droid

Mark said:
I do hope its on Crow land, or looks like being another entrance to Reservoir hole,

The forum needs more debate on these issues.

Post of the Year (so far).... :bow:

So...as its been raised...and people's curiosity piqued...
Do those people "in the know" want to enlighten the rest of us...or is it restricted to guesses and those that drink "at the centre of the universe"

Les W

As far as I'm aware there is nothing to enlighten people with other than some diggers got permission to dig there and have started digging...

richardg

:clap: Wow that a good use of information technology Les... impressive!!.  :clap: and what a great looking potential cave entrance too. I guess it has a  potential to reveal evidence of prehistoric human activity too given its location, What an interesting place.

graham

richardg said:
:clap: Wow that a good use of information technology Les... impressive!!.  :clap: and what a great looking potential cave entrance too. I guess it has a  potential to reveal evidence of prehistoric human activity too given its location, What an interesting place.

Yes it is a very interesting place. Geomorphologically, it has a lot going for it and archaeologically Balch mentions some minor finds that may or may not be later inwash. All good stuff.