Deary Me

H

Huw Groucutt

Yup i'd seen that already.

Went to have a look at GG recently and a couple of guys (one of whom seemed to the leader of a group!) were traversing around the edge with no ropes or anything, right around the far side past all the P-bolts and leaning over the edge, i wanted to leave cos i seriously didn't want to see them die, but then i thought i'd better tell them to stop being stupid but i think they had realised themselves and came back round.

Stu

RT seems to be down at the mo but if its the one with the guy who wants to "feel real adventure" by killing himself in GG, i posted a few choice replies. this thread is pretty common in RT (the seeking adventure b*ll*x not abbing GG). why are climbers so often full of it? i speak as someone who engages in both activities but have done almost no climbing in the last year.

Brendan

Sadly idiots aren't limited to the Dales. Had one incident at Eldon Hole (a rescue practice indeed) where a father and son aged about 8 turned up to have a look. They then thought it would be a good idea to start climbing down the North gully 'to have a look at how deep it is'. :shock:
Would guess about 3 seconds from there. We were beginning to wonder if it was going to turn into a real shout... Even when we pointed out that this was not a good idea they carried on, then the kid started to run around the rest of the hole. Everyone was relieved when they finally left - not the best way to spend an afternoon, watching someone plummet horribly, then scraping them up

SamT

One of the reasons I practically never go climbing anymore is I just cant stand being anywhere popular in the peak (stanage etc) and being exposed to hundreds upon hundreds of punters trying their best to kill themselves/somebody else with extremly poor practice's. I just spoils your day doesnt it.

I think in the good 'ol days (i.e. before the media got hold of ourdoor sports and the word extreme was invented) climbing and caving had its own natural selection process. You could either do it and loved it. or you couldnt and didnt. This rendered the general climbing/caving fraternaty as an able group who shared their world with other like minded folk. (of course there was and allways will be exceptions).

I think the caving world is still like that but the rock climbing scene is just horrendous now. eg. Cocktalk.

enough ranting - I can associate with Jons spirit of adventure, I like the ethos of teaching yourself and learning from your mistakes albeit under the guard of more experienced friends.- at least he asked in the first place - and 99% of the responses were pretty good.

the comments that sum it up for me are

jon -
Just look at all the great explorers. They didn't stop what they were doing just because they were walking into unknown terrirory.
RichT
That's the thing though Jon, your not walking into unknown territory. your talking about doing a crap job of going into very well known territory.

:)

bubba

Administrator
Nothing's changed, there's just more people climbing these days - the climbing "scene" has always been full of dicks. Places like Cocktalk just allow a sort of cozy dick love-in.

Some of the attitudes of cavers on that thread are not exactly great either, are they?

T

Titch98

:?

I really am lost for words......................

First time reading the whole topic. It really is frightening that people can be so irresponsible, irrelevant of whether they have climbing experience or not. I have been caving for over 10 years and I still don't know everything there is to know about this sport. In a way, its the same as me saying, "I can cave, so let me go try climb the east face of Everest"!

Bit exagerated I know, but jesus...................................I can see the news articles now...........

Stu

to be fair to the guy on rocktalk he never got round to doing it...maybe it was one of those proud boast things going on.... i had one the other week about me and chamber of horrors! after i poked my head in (which may be the only bit that fits) i have reconsidered!