Am i stupid?

F

flipper

I tried to find nickergrove mine the other night....I thought that was meant to be easy but could we bloody hell find it... Found many other things though...mud tube further to the west!..high upish?...what about sunday mine..collapsing and tight but where does it go?....On the east side there were two small rifts that went in some way..one with timber layed across and shallow shaft which might..any clues?

..is eyam delph(nature reserve) the right place?

All advice would be gratefully recieved :?

SamT

Hi

I've never been but caves of the peakdistrict quotes it as cucklet delph which is the smaller dale to the west, that has no road running up it. (Eyam Delph is the one with carlswalk shaft and the electricity sub station).

Quote from Caves of Peak district is

On west side of Cucklet Delph. Adit almost directly above end of wall in valley floor. Shaft entrance further north, a short distance up hillside.

Grid ref is 2155 7596.

look at multimap 1:25000

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=422500&Y=375000&width=500&height=300&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=eyam&pc=&scale=50000&advanced=true&lang=&multimap.x=173&multimap.y=71

grid ref puts it almost exactly where the L is in 'Middleton' not far from the road.

Good luck next time. At least it was winter and theres no foliage.

al

John Beck's produced a really good survey showing all the caves in the lower part of Stoney Middleton which you can buy in Hitch & Hike. This survey includes all the entrances in Cucklet Delph. Admittedly, it's bit big to take caving, but it is really good for sorting your directions out before you go - or, if you're like me, finding out where you've been when you get back!!

seamoose

Up cutlet delph - stay on left of 'brook'. Not too far - say 50-60 meters or
so. Scramble up slope following vague path to obvious adit on a fault. Adit
has rock face on right.

Once inside, only 30 feet or so to a hole in the floor and sharp righthand
turn.

Watch out for deep internal shaft !!!