local flooding

Andy Sparrow

Yesterday, at about 4pm, I travelled from Wells to Cheddar (a distance of about 6 miles).  Wells, though very overcast, was dry, while Cheddar was not only dry but sunny.  It was a different story passing through Westbury and Rodney Stoke which were experiencing a deluge sufficient to flood the road in several places.  Very, very local flooding.  I would guess that the Swildons catchment may have been within the area of the storm.  Anyone have any sudden unanticipated excitement yesterday?

Stupot

I got extremely wet whilst diving in Vobster Quarry, caught me completely by suprise  :eek:

Stu.

AndyF

Peter Burgess said:
And there was flooding in the North West too. Perhaps there were problems in Derbyshire or the Dales?

So after boiling hot all day,  I decide to go spot-holing in the evening up to Thirst House cave. Naturally, I just wore a T-Shirt, trainers and jeans. It was a nice evening after all....

Well it drizzled on the walk up, and soaked the vegetation, so my legs were soaked by the time I got there. By the time I cam out it was truly pi55ing down. I was soaked to the skin in 50 yards. Then the lightning started. Now I'm not a girlie scarred of lighning type, but this was serious tree's crackling purple halo sort of lightning. Still with a light and wire on my head at least I had a built in lightning conductor, at least as far as my gonads. Then a sheep jumped out in front of me and scarred my sh....le55, then I trod on a toad - bad karma....  then I tripped over face first into a load on nettles - nice, and hurt my ankle as a bonus.

By the time I got back to the car I was in a reet mess and did a tadge of therapy swearing. Of course, I had no spare clothes.

The day was however, redeemed on a flooded road in Darley Dale, where I watched a police motorcyle ride into a foot deep water and gently fell over......

Got back home in time for tea and medals.

Mr Fell

Twas in`t Dales yesterday - no downpour where I was ( Ingleton). Sky looked black over Settle way however.

I got to the Green at 6.30 to meet the German for a short trip to Swildons. We had past through torrential rain, with minor flooding in the road. The storm soon passed, we entered the cave at 6.45 to find it had had almost no effect. A great disappointment.

When I said "past through...." I meant "passed through". Good grief, that would have cost me 5 marks in an essay. Don't suppose anyone noticed though.

nickwilliams

chriscastle46 said:
When I said "past through...." I meant "passed through". Good grief, that would have cost me 5 marks in an essay. Don't suppose anyone noticed though.

Oh yes they did!

N.

cap n chris

chriscastle46 said:

But you're a caver so you can't read or write.  ;)

graham

chriscastle46 said:

I did, but whenever I've remarked on such things on t'net, I've been accused of discriminating against the dyslexic.  :coffee:

paul

After a boiling hot weekend in the Yorkshire Dales we left on Sunday at about 3:30 pm still in sunshine. By Blacko it started to rain with lots of lightning and after that there were stretches of sun and dry areas then thunder and lightning alternating.

Arriving home in Winster (Derbyshire Dales) I unloaded the car in very heavy rain which contnued for the rest of the eveneing.

I hope nobody had a surprise underground...

whitelackington

Monday, Templeton was too wet to dig, so went for a trip to East Twin Swallet.
What Swallet, NO stream or wettness whatsoever!
figure that out.
The stream had not been diverted, just wasn't running. :confused: