What networks get signal up at rowter farm?

Tseralo

I'm working on something that needs a GPRS signal up near rowter farm. I'm on giffgaff (O2) and don't get much, is anyone on a network that does get signal up there?

Katie

Are you on facebook? If so look up Rowter Poultry and message the page - as they live there I suspect they will be ablle to tell you exactly which networks are good!

pwhole

I've previously made calls up there on Vodafone, but then I'm using the ultra-reliable Nokia dumbphone, which helps. I had guys with ?1000 iPhones begging me to use it when we were working on Millers Dale viaduct. Hahahah.

'Sorry, I don't have enough credit - you'll have to drive up the hill'  :coffee:

2xw

I got signal up there with 3 today.

I'm personally very excited for what I assume is the Titan WiFi project.

alastairgott

same with EE, I got signal in my tent this weekend (?7.50 per night). wind was blowing from Eldon hill direction, so I was sheltered behind the wall in the camping field. I think it drops out closer to the area where cavers get changed.

Could be that the line of sight over the farm buildings is better from a distance? but I don't know where the nearest masts are though.

Not a bad walk up after the pub on Friday/Saturday night  (y)

al

Several times, I've had a signal from Rowter Hole - EE. Also, on the last JH call-out, I managed a signal at the "Winnats" end of the campsite field - again EE.

Tseralo

2xw said:
I got signal up there with 3 today.

I'm personally very excited for what I assume is the Titan WiFi project.
After the success of the TV at the bottomless pit we have decided to put one at the bottom of Titan so people have something to watch while everyone is prusicing.

SamT

according to cellmapper.net  the EE mast is on Eccles, above, hope.  Which kind of figures.  You might get line of site from up on Rowter from there, but the farm building would certainly get in the way..

https://goo.gl/maps/Tb2BPjrTdBZ4Wes68

AlexR

I used to have poor reception with O2 there before, but the most recent two times I had 3-4 bars and mobile internet.

Just a request to extend Wifi coverage into AI Passage, thank you. Then we could change Spotify playlists for digging on the fly as the mood takes us.

zzzzzzed

Katie said:
I'm working on something that needs a GPRS signal up near rowter farm.

GPRS signals come from satelites don't they - not your mobile provider - so you can get them anywhere on the planet.

I've certainly used ViewRanger to navigate in areas where I couldn't get a mobile signal.  I've also GPRS to navigate when abroad with roaming turned off.

Tseralo

Your mixing GPS and GPRS, GPS is what you use for navigation and comes from satellites and GPRS is a data transfer standard over radio used by mobile networks.

zzzzzzed

Tseralo said:
Your mixing GPS and GPRS, GPS is what you use for navigation and comes from satellites and GPRS is a data transfer standard over radio used by mobile networks.

Ah yes.

I remember GPRS from about a decade ago ? wasn?t it the mobile equivalent of a dial up modem?  I thought it had long since been superseded by G3, 4 and 5.

Tseralo

zzzzzzed said:
Tseralo said:

Ah yes.

I remember GPRS from about a decade ago ? wasn?t it the mobile equivalent of a dial up modem?  I thought it had long since been superseded by G3, 4 and 5.

Its a low data rate but modules are cheap and easy to wire to a micro controller and as all I need to do is push small amounts of text every HTTP every 30 mins or so it perfectly adequate.