NAMHO 2021 meet

Grout1

NAMHO 2021 Conference

Apologies for this being a long entry, but we just want to ensure that everyone is kept informed:

The Coronavirus pandemic continues, but there are signs of optimism, and hopefully many of us may be vaccinated against the disease by the time NAMHO 2021 takes place. 
The Shropshire Caving and Mining Club still intends to hold a Conference in South Shropshire (2nd to 5th July 2021), and some progress has been made in its planning. However, with the remaining uncertainties we have decided that the original choice of venue is no longer suitable. A more modest option of Norbury village hall is now to be adopted.
It is intended to carry out underground and surface field events, as well as a full talks programme, and they will obviously be conducted under whatever Covid-19 guidelines may be in place at the time. Hence we are unable to provide clearer details at the moment. It also seems likely that individual delegates will have to sort out their own accommodation and catering arrangements, as these are the elements most likely to be disrupted by COVID-19 restrictions in terms of mass gatherings.
SCMC have already sent out a flyer via the NAMHO Newsletter requesting potential speakers who might attend the Conference. It is understandable that given the situation uptake has been slow. No one wants to make a decision so far ahead. On the plus side, the rapid growth in video meetings and conferencing since lockdown provides us with an additional opportunity for this conference. We believe that we should have sufficient onsite facilities to allow us to both provide a virtual programme of lectures, as well as a real time live event (where numbers indoors may still be controlled). Further it will also be possible for speakers to provide an online presentation if they are not able to attend in person. This obviously provides international speakers with an opportunity too.
One aspect of planning the event is to know the approximate number of people who might attend so that equipment and human resources can be allocated to the different functions. It would help us immensely to have an estimate of how many might attend the Conference.
If you intend to come to the NAMHO Conference next year please contact the Conference organisers to register your interest rather than just post it on this thread. This will also allow us to e-mail you updates on trips, lectures and the overall programme as it becomes available. The normal booking service through the NAMHO website will be available later in the Spring.

Email NAMHO.21@shropshirecmc.org.uk to register your intent to attend the NAMHO Conference next year. If you are shielding or have any concerns on the safety of the event then the virtual option will be available, but we would still like to hear from you.
Please also contact Rob Vernon directly if you intend to give a presentation. rbrtvernon@aol.com.

If you have any queries, I am happy to try and answer them by PM (private message) or contact the organisers directly on NAMHO.21@shropshirecmc.org.uk
Hoping to see many of you next Summer
Alan Robinson

tamarmole

As one of the organisers of last year's aborted conference I really don't envy the situation the Shropshire guys are in.  One thing I do know is that if they can pull it off it will be a fantastic weekend judging by events they have organised in the past.

ditzy 24//7

I haven't been before but hoping to this year, hopefully covid wont stop us this year. we have missed out quite since the beginning of the covid outbreak including the war at Wickstead weekend, and caving trips, to seeing family etc, i believe the covid has hit everyone hard in one way or another.

Grout1

The venue for the 2021 NAMHO conference will be the village hall at Norbury in South Shropshire (see https://www.villagehallnorbury.co.uk/  Location SY9 5EA). This has been chosen to provide the flexibility required to run the conference whatever restrictions may be in place in July.

There is no accommodation facility at the hall but South Shropshire is well served by holiday lets of all types, B&Bs, pubs with rooms and there are several nearby bunk houses and campsites, some with pods or huts, with space for tents, caravans and motorhomes.

It is planned to have the basic conference website on line very soon with more detailed information.

Contact  NAMHO.21@shropshirecmc.org.uk

Fulk

Hi ditzy, my wife and I went to the NAMHO conference for the first time in 2019 and enjoyed it very much. It was well organized and we met a lot of nice folk (although we were puzzled by the number of ?miners? who seemed to regard SRT as some sort of black art!) so we were looking forward to going again in 2020  . . . ah well.

We?ll be going again this year (we hope).

royfellows

Fulk said:
Hi ditzy, my wife and I went to the NAMHO conference for the first time in 2019 and enjoyed it very much. It was well organized .............................

:LOL:

ttxela2

royfellows said:
Fulk said:
Hi ditzy, my wife and I went to the NAMHO conference for the first time in 2019 and enjoyed it very much. It was well organized .............................

:LOL:

I never fail to be impressed at the annual heroic attempt to get a motley collection of 100 or so eccentric independent minded individuals to a series of remote rural grid references at set times over the course of a weekend!

The fact that mostly these attempts succeed and even when they don't a good time is inevitably had regardless is fantastic  (y)

Grout1

Just a little more patience, we hope to have some form of booking available in not too distant future.
It is possible to get a delegate number, but that's about it at the moment.
On the plus side we aren't asking for money (yet).

Awaiting further government announcements and a finalisation on trip availability.
Please realise that things have to be a bit more fluid this year and there is a distinct possibility of last minute changes to arrangements.

Further information can be gained as mentioned in earlier entries by registering your intent by e-mail at NAMHO.21@shropshirecmc.org.uk

Stay safe until then

Alan Robinson SCMC

Cantclimbtom

Obviously subject to whatever the future brings... but there's no lowering of aspirations. Just reading https://www.namho.org/conf2021/confpages/conf_underground_alternative.php  Wow that looks a great schedule

Grout1

2021 NAMHO conference -update

The road map for release from lockdown permits some confidence that the South Shropshire conference will take place as planned on the first weekend of July, although it is too early to determine its exact form. The conference website (https://www.namho.org/conf2021/confpages/conf_home.php ) is now live, giving general information concerning what is intended. However, it is not yet possible to initiate the booking system. An announcement will be made once this is in place.

SCMC continue to seek expressions of interest to NAMHO.21@shropshirecmc.org.uk to assist with planning.

Grout1

The booking site for the NAMHO conference is now live. The conference will run from Friday 2nd July to Monday 5th July 2021.

The conference will be centred around the Norbury village in South Shropshire with the opportunity to attend lectures (virtual option available too), surface walks and underground trips.

There will be an Early Bird price of ?25 to encourage prompt bookings. Other day or remote ?lecture only? options are available too.

Lots more information to be found  at  www.namho.org/conf2021/confpages/conf_home.php

Book early to avoid disappointment as many trips are proving popular.

tomferry

Mornings all

Is their a non srt trip I could tie into a day with snailbeach Scotts level ?

Would this be the public tour one ? Have never been their before so happy to do anything .

Tom

royfellows

Down and beyond said:
Mornings all

Would this be the public tour one ? Have never been their before so happy to do anything .

Tom

It will tell you on the website under "technicalities". I am leading into Cambrian Slate Mine if you want to get on that one.

moorebooks

royfellows said:
Down and beyond said:
Mornings all

Tom

It will tell you on the website under "technicalities". I am leading into Cambrian Slate Mine if you want to get on that one.

You need to book through the website - it will show availability for all visits and off course there is a full programme of lectures

Mike