Worlds highest cave????

Alex

Apparently, the top of Everest is marine limestone, complete with fossils. Not only that we know there is apparently least one cave up there as someone died in one (they call him green boots) as his green boots stick out of the cave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Boots#/media/File:Green_Boots.jpg, WARNING (This picture shows his body)
But it just looks like a lot of shattered rock, I suspect it's all like that up there, but caves can still be found?

From what I read the limestone band starts at 5.2 miles up (8368m) about 500m from the top, so your not going to get something really deep, but I have to wonder if a larger cave could have formed in the millions of years it took the mountain to rise while water still flowed and was not frozen, if not completely frost shattered. There are lower peaks near by that are similarly limestone capped.

Who's up for a caving expedition up there to find the worlds highest cave?  ;)

A quick search seems to indicate the highest one so far is:
6,645m asl Cave of Rakiot Peak On Rakiot Peak (7070m), near Nanga Parbat, Kashmere, India 75m (estimated) supposedly the worlds highest cave was discovered in 1963 by climbers.

langcliffe

tamarmole said:
Wasn't there a Himalayan caving expedition in the late 1960s early 1970s?

That would be Tony Waltham's expedition in 1970. They visited a number of areas without finding anything of note. The Pokhara area was the most interesting, with the Harpan River Cave being surveyed for about 1500 metres. He dismissed the Everest limestone as being described as "aranaceous, schistose and dolomitic - three properties which should ensure a complete lack of karst features."

mikem

It is mentioned in (although confirmation of its existence seems lacking): https://www.himalayanclub.org/hj/31/9/caving-in-the-himalaya

mikem

The Everest option is described as an alcove.

The best info I can find on rakhiot cave is in Italian:
http://casolaspeleo.blogspot.com/2020/09/?m=1
To  date we know of some large portals, unfortunately closed, recently searched (2018) in remote Yak Danda massif in Dolpo at altitudes even over 5500. At similar altitudes, something always very small is also known in the Pakistani province of Chitral. Perhaps the Kali Gandaki and Annapurna described by Herzog still retain some surprises. A clearly karst area was in fact identified almost thirty years ago in this area at altitudes between 5000 and 6000 meters. A karst that is partly hydrologically active today, partly the result of very ancient processes. Identified, but little studied and seeing that everyone has their preferences and tastes, I must confess, that I root for this place which, moreover, in terms of sacredness, can boast nothing less than a grandiose sanctuary dedicated to Vishnu. Finding an abyss or something similar around here would have its own charm!

What if we wanted to climb even higher? At altitudes where air and reason are increasingly rarefied and evanescent qualities? Well maybe we wouldn't find the being who left the footprints photographed by Eric Shipton, but if we look hard we could certainly find the entrance to the Rahkiot Cave. What today I consider one of the most mysterious caves on the planet. Surely the highest we know, given that its entrance, indeed its portal of about 13 x 13 meters wide, should open at over 6600 meters above sea level on the south-east flank of Rahkiot Peak, secondary peak of Nanga Parbat. I dare to say mysterious because its name has been associated since the 1960s with the primacy of the highest cave on the planet, but since then none other than  Meinzinger and Caldwell or the two mountaineers who reported the news in 1963, went there, never saw it or at least wrote about it.

There do not seem to be any photographs of this place, let alone a relief. And to say that in this case it is not really a little hole, given that in the mountaineering report that mentions it, we talk about a length of about 250 feet, or almost a hundred meters in length and then say that it closes on ice and snow . God forbid that two mountaineers who happened to be there by chance in the 1960s and found this entrance at such an altitude would start exploring for kilometers! Indeed, to be precise, the two also add that the cavity opens in marble "metamorphosed sediments" or something similar. It could probably be a cavity set on a large tectonic fracture, most likely we will not find continuations ... or maybe not. In fact, we speak of " solution cave"to highlight the presumed traces of a karst in all respects. How could water have created anything at 6,600 meters? Well simple, just think a little better in a four-dimensional way and place that cave in another point of time, perhaps at the beginning of the Pliocene, when that block of metamorphosed sediments had emerged from the Tethys and was not yet more than 6 kilometers above sea level. . Another time, another place and another temperature, all frozen in an archive of time projected into the clouds by plate tectonics. Mountains can play strange tricks. Or at least this is the hypothesis to explain the presence there of that tunnel of unknown extension. Anyway it is certain that imagining this entrance opening into the lost marbles on the top of Rahkiot Peak has a powerful charm.

Letting themselves be carried away freely by memories and associations,  possible places flourish and multiply:  Mauri and Bonatti, narrating the conquest of Gasherbrum IV, describe the crazy final crest as composed of candid and resplendent white marbles. If we then move east we risk getting lost in the infinite southeastern areas of Tibet on the border with Burma, dotted with limestone at very high altitudes. But also the great heart of the continent, the Pamir and the Hindu Kush, the ancient Paropamiso described by Fosco Maraini or some north-eastern areas of India between Nanda Devi and Mount Api ... all places to go hunting!
Google translate, however, high altitude is famous for inducing hallucinations...

langcliffe

A couple of years ago I was in the Tsum valley and visited a fairly impressive cave at about 4,000 metres in conglomerate - obviously a lithified landslip. It was probably formed by material sliding out from it, as inside it rose very steeply to a height of about 25 metres in a large chamber. Interestingly, the floor was well calcited together, making the ascent up to the back wall very easy, so there was some limestone somewhere.

tsum1.jpg

The best thing about it was the view from the secondary entrance:

tsum2.jpg

mikem

Other reports list the discovery of rakhiot cave being 2nd July 1963 by E. Meinzinger & J. R. Caldwell, I can't find any useful info on the first guy, but
Helen June Caldwell | Obituaries | themountaineer.com
27 Sept 2020 ? She was preceded in death by her beloved husband of 64 years, J.R. Caldwell, who died in 2017
They seem to have left behind a son & daughter, plus various brothers.