Cave in South London

thehungrytroglobite

Thought I'd share this photo of some beautiful speleothems gingernutcrazy and I found today on a walk in South West London... unfortunately, being in the South, the cave entrance was gated.

:spank:

If anyone knows the name of this cave, or the name of the system it is part of, then do let us know!

Attachments

• 20210302_170541.jpg
    20210302_170541.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1,044

JackSherlock

Having you consulted the RoMine database? I find it an excellent resource for all underground ventures inside the M25.  (y)

ILoveCaves

JackSherlock said:
Having you consulted the RoMine database? I find it an excellent resource for all underground ventures inside the M25.  (y)

RoMine is only accepting Roman Mines, not rare London Speleothems...  :mad:

Graigwen

langcliffe said:
Technically speaking, they are probably calthemites. There's a fine display of calthemites at the top of the entrance pitch in Aquamole Pot.

Yes, they look like calthemites.

In 1970 calthemites were observed to grow from joints between newly installed pre-cast concrete sections in the Aberystwyth surface water drainage scheme. (Specifically between the low rectangular sections on the route under the tennis courts and bowling green between North Road and Queens Road.) The maximum rate of growth observed was about one inch a month although this would presumably slow as soluble material was removed from the joints.

andrewmcleod

mrodoc said:
You have been reading an old copy of Caves of Devon. This could be Lafrowda Pot

I'm sad my copy of the 'Pink Book of Lies' (as I've heard it called) does not include Lafrowda Pot, although I believe it has been visited occasionally within the last 10 years...

pwhole

We should have some nice ones forming under the Longcliffe entrance pipe before too long, as there's a few cubes of concrete went into making that plug.