Depth capability of Filthy Edna2 lamp?

Pitlamp

The Edna2 is not intended for cave diving but the blurb which comes with it says it'll stand a submersion (which I think means if you fall in a deep pool, for example). However, the lamp is beautifully designed and it looks like it ought to be possible to take it through shallow sumps, at least.

Can anyone advise on what sort of depth it might be possible to take the lamp to without leakage? At my risk, obviously; I'll not come moaning if I surface with a lamp or battery box full of water. I do clean and grease O rings religiously, having learned that lesson the hard way over the years. I suspect the problem may be the pressure on the push switch.

Also, is there any safety issue with the battery getting wet? (I'm not very good with sparks, so would appreciate any advice offered.)

Finally, I'd like to be able to use this lamp on the same helmet I dive with, in such a way that the lamp can be detached before submersion. The answer is the "Stainless Blade Mount Bracket" advertised on the website but which is listed as "not currently available". I've emailed Custom Duo about this but, if I can't buy one from them, does anyone have a spare kicking about which I could buy from you? (Please send a PM if you can help on this point.)

Thanks.

Pitlamp

Thanks; that does actually help because the cable glands etc look similar. I'd have thought the Edna would be good for at least that depth because it used standard circular O rings. Don't know how waterproof the switch is though.

Dave254

I haven't got one myself, but the website does claim that they are waterproof to 5m "Waterproof design for 'wet' caving IP68 5m" https://www.littlemonkeycaving.co.uk/Filthy-Edna-2/ I would take that to cover short free dives and the odd dunking.

Pitlamp

Thanks Dave254.

Bif hasn't got any of the Stainless Blade Mount Brackets in stock, so now I really do need to source a second hand one.

Can anyone help?

Fjell

Have you checked out the Scurion one if it will fit?

https://www.scurion.ch/jm19/en/lamps-en-eg/options-en-gb.html

Benfool

Pretty sure the Scurion headset is larger than the Edna, so it won't fit.

I'd you could get a blade mount off an old Oldham, it would probably be fairly easy to glue it onto the the Edna bracket.

B

Pitlamp

Just measured the Edna2 headset and it's only 55 mm across, where the helmet bracket fixing points are. Haven't got a Scurion to measure but I reckon they're a significantly bigger diameter.

Guess I might be able to bodge it with packing washers and longer bolts or something but it'd be much better to get the proper thing, if anyone has one they're not using? (Thanks for the link Fjell - and thanks for the thoughts Benfool. Incidentally, what glue would you recommend, in case it comes to that?)

Fjell

Pitlamp said:
Just measured the Edna2 headset and it's only 55 mm across, where the helmet bracket fixing points are. Haven't got a Scurion to measure but I reckon they're a significantly bigger diameter.

Guess I might be able to bodge it with packing washers and longer bolts or something but it'd be much better to get the proper thing, if anyone has one they're not using? (Thanks for the link Fjell - and thanks for the thoughts Benfool. Incidentally, what glue would you recommend, in case it comes to that?)

It?s 68mm.

Pitlamp

Hm, would that be entirely trustworthy, I wonder? I can see me ending up rooting through the shed for an old pitlamp light head to rob the bracket and try and bodge something together with it. I'd rather have the proper thing . . . .

Benfool

Yeah the real thing would be much better, but I know how rare these things can be. You may need to bodge it!

B

PeteHall

If I knew what it was supposed to look like, I'd happily make you one, though it would be mild steel (unless I'm passing Portishead and can raid the scrap bin at Barton's), if that's any good?

Edit: From the above, I guess it needs to be 55mm across, but what is the distance from the back of the bracket to the mounting holes? What is the diameter of the holes? I can work out the rest.

Pitlamp

That's a very kind offer; thanks! (And typical of the CDG's ethos, engrained over 75 years, of helping each other. I'm no engineer, so your offer is much appreciated.)

I'd hang on for the moment; someone may have a spare.

But if you get do chance to scoop up a bit of rustproof material meanwhile, it'd not hurt to have it in stock. If it comes to making something, do these pictures show the nature of the beast well enough? The parts of the circular lamphead where the bracket is attached have flat areas, to accommodate the bracket. The silver bits between the bolts and the lamphead are just sprung washers on the bolts (i.e. not part of the lamphead).

The bracket itself appears to be made of aluminium and has slight springiness, which explains the 1 mm difference in the two critical dimensions shown on the 2nd image.

The width of the standard helmet bracket (which the lamp bracket would need to go into) is 22 mm, so I guess a 20 mm wide lamp bracket would allow the necessary bit of wiggling to connect / disconnect. The helmet bracket is designed to accept an Oldham type lamp bracket; not sure what thickness that is but if you've got one kicking around it'll give you an idea.

(I've posted this info & photos here, rather than using a PM or email, in case it's of use to anyone else in future.)

Attachments

• P4070484.JPG
    P4070484.JPG
    744.8 KB · Views: 207
  • P4070486.JPG
    P4070486.JPG
    851.9 KB · Views: 204

PeteHall

I've got plenty of aluminium, so could make something out of that.

I've also got half a dozen spare Oldham headsets, so can copy the blade connector; I've managed this quite successfully in the past to make a camera bracket for some awful helmet-cam video of fish in PYO  :LOL:

Just need to hole diameter for the helmet bolts.

Pitlamp

You're spoiling me!  :clap:

The bolts & Nylok nuts supplied with the lamp are 4 mm.

But maybe hang fire just a little longer as someone may have a spare of the real thing. I also just received a helpful message from a mate with an alternative suggestion for fixing.

But I may (gratefully!) take you up on your kind offer.  (y)

Pitlamp

Please could I thank Pete Hall, who has kindly made a bracket for me? I'd better also take this opportunity to thank Benfool who, although he might not have been asked yet, may be involved in the delivery chain!

PeteHall

Probably better to thank my long-suffering wife who did the dishes while I was out tinkering and popped it in the post while I was out caving  :-[

Hopefully it does the job for you.

Attachments

• lamp bracket.jpg
    lamp bracket.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 204