Gunnerside Mine Walk

RobinGriffiths

I happen to be up in Durham tomorrow on Covid compliant business. On the way back down, on Monday, I was thinking of a walk from Gunnerside - I've pencilled in a walk up Gunnerside Beck as far as where the OS map shows Gunnerside Gill, then maybe back down round the back of Melbecks Moor.

So, for anyone who knows the area, is this any good for a surface mine walk? Or are there better alternatives in the area? I've already done Old Gang Beck.

Criteria for interest are: surface buildings/infrastructure, holes and spoil heaps to ferret about on.

Robin

legendrider

Hi Robin, 

Gunnerside Gill is probably (in my opinion at least) the most delightful mining surface walk.  Just follow the path from the village, there are levels, dressing floors, bouse teams, mine shops, and a smelt mill.  You will need a good few hours to get round it all, but even if you only get as far as Bunton Level it's a cracking look out.  Look on AN for details of the mines in the vicinity help you plan your tour. 

MARK

Paul Marvin

legendrider said:
Hi Robin, 

Gunnerside Gill is probably (in my opinion at least) the most delightful mining surface walk.  Just follow the path from the village, there are levels, dressing floors, bouse teams, mine shops, and a smelt mill.  You will need a good few hours to get round it all, but even if you only get as far as Bunton Level it's a cracking look out.  Look on AN for details of the mines in the vicinity help you plan your tour. 

MARK

Now that looks interesting when we are back up in Cumbria , a nice dog walk with artifacts to look at .  ;)

Nice to see you on here Mark !!  :D

rjw

RobinGriffiths said:
I've pencilled in a walk up Gunnerside Beck as far as where the OS map shows Gunnerside Gill, then maybe back down round the back of Melbecks Moor.

Just play it by ear, too much to see in one day. On your way up the gill you will see Dolly level remains and tips on the opposite side. That might be temptation enough to walk cross onto the other side and walk back that way.

legendrider

If you're short of time you could consider parking at Surrender Bridge (from the Stang, left, then turn Right after the CB Inn).

5 minutes downstream is Surrender smelt mill, and Old Gang Mill is 30mins upstream, both top-drawer attractions.

Thanks for the words of welcome Paul  :bow:

MARK

ChrisJC

Walking up Gunnerside, then along the obvious vein, and down another valley (e.g. Swinnergill) makes for a tremendously interesting (but quite long!) walk.

Up and back down Gunnerside is also pretty good too.

As is from Turf Moor / Moulds Bottom up through all of the Moulds Side workings to Danby Level, then back down Arkengarthdale is good. The Moulds Side stuff on the top is impressive.

Chris.

Paul Marvin

ChrisJC said:
Walking up Gunnerside, then along the obvious vein, and down another valley (e.g. Swinnergill) makes for a tremendously interesting (but quite long!) walk.

Up and back down Gunnerside is also pretty good too.

As is from Turf Moor / Moulds Bottom up through all of the Moulds Side workings to Danby Level, then back down Arkengarthdale is good. The Moulds Side stuff on the top is impressive.

Chris.

What is "quite a long walk" in your eyes Chris ?

alex17595

First time I went to Gunnerside I walked up Gunnerside Gill, turn right over the top heading towards Brandy bottle incline. Then at Old Gang mill I took the direct path over the top towards Kinning Level (I think its called) but got lost and ended up walking straight through the bushes.

Cant say I reccomend it.

ChrisJC

PeteHall said:
RobinGriffiths said:
Thanks all. Sounds worth a go then.

Definitely. And there's a nice tea room in the village too, if it's open these days...

There is the pub in Gunnerside too - The Kings Arms I think. I purchased some surveys of the local mines from there some years ago - under previous owners.

Chris.

RobinGriffiths

rjw said:
Just play it by ear, too much to see in one day. On your way up the gill you will see Dolly level remains and tips on the opposite side. That might be temptation enough to walk cross onto the other side and walk back that way.

Yes. That's what I did in the end, with a quick trundle up to Blakenthwaite before returning. Tons of stuff to see. Even went briefly underground in the Priscilla Level. The only thing, I didn't see hide nor hair of any tramway taking product away. I guess the must have used packhorses? I think a quick browse of Mr Moore's online bookshop may be in order.