Leck Fell Shooting Hut

langcliffe

Reading through the Peter Binns journals, I see that pre-war at any rate, cavers used to bivvy in the Leck Fell shooting hut. It was located on the right-hand side of the road 50 metres before the open fell.

Can anyone remember when it disappeared?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure it was still there up to the late eighties.  I can't remember if it fell down or was removed.  Commercial grouse shooting stopped on Leck at some point in that era so it could be connected.  Someone will have a better memory.

Walked up past one of the 'butts' the other day which looked in remarkedly good condition.

Pitlamp

Hm, I remember a corrugated iron shed type thing in the 70s but that was on the left side of the road when going up to the Lost Johns' layby. I guess that must have been something else. So niot much help I'm afraid.

langcliffe

Pitlamp said:
Hm, I remember a corrugated iron shed type thing in the 70s but that was on the left side of the road when going up to the Lost Johns' layby. I guess that must have been something else. So niot much help I'm afraid.

Maybe that is what I'm remembering. The shooting hut is marked on the 1956 6" Map, but its last major revision was pre-1930!

Pitlamp

If you think that may be the one I can remember who was with me that day, so I may be able to find the date in a caving diary. At least that would tell you a date when it was there, even if not when it disappeared.

Probably better to email me and I'll add it to my (growing) list of jobs for you!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The shooting hut I am remembering was on the right about 100m before the cattle grid.  Through that old gate where the Notts 2 valley comes out onto the road.  My memory for such facts is not great though so I might be confusing different bits of the matrix.

langcliffe

Badlad said:
The shooting hut I am remembering was on the right about 100m before the cattle grid.  Through that old gate where the Notts 2 valley comes out onto the road.  My memory for such facts is not great though so I might be confusing different bits of the matrix.

That's the one on the 6" map and which was used as a bivvy by the BSA in the 1930s.

mikem

Mentioned under Iron Kiln & Starting Handle, so presumably still there 2005 (although page last updated 2013):
http://www.rrcpc.org.uk/easegill/text/leck.htm

langcliffe

mikem said:
Mentioned under Iron Kiln & Starting Handle, so presumably still there 2005 (although page last updated 2013):
http://www.rrcpc.org.uk/easegill/text/leck.htm

Thanks! No wonder I remember it!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
In both the Red Rose references it states shooting huts (plural). 

I've asked a few other cavers but no one can be sure when they disappeared.  Probably much later than I remembered above.  Someone thought noughties.

You could pop into the estate office and ask - they are pretty friendly these days.

Cheers

langcliffe

Badlad said:
In both the Red Rose references it states shooting huts (plural). 

There was one larger building, and a small one (1934):

0012.jpg

The larger one was used for bivvying, and looked pretty comforatble (1938):

S34.JPG