Uses of a Swiss Army Knife

ZombieCake

Has anyone used a Swiss Army Knife other than opening parcels or slicing cheese?
Today I MacGyver'd a brake bleed thing out of a coca cola bottle and some plastic tube for my brother's van after the slowing down peddle became a bit too spongy, and it worked.  I was quite impressed with myself for once, doesn't happen often.

Mark Wright

Funnily enough I've just today treated myself to a new, personalised Red Champ and leather case.

It's to replace the now totally seized up one I bought in Riyadh 30 years ago. If I'd been a bit more careful with it I would probably have got another 30 years out of it. The old one came in a leather case with an excellent mini Maglite torch, compass, sharpening stone and some other valuable safety essentials.   

I've used mine for all sorts of things. I've certainly used every tool though not always for what it was designed. A jeweller friend of mine made me a silver toothpick for the old Champ though that went missing some time ago. I will have to commission another.

My new one should just about see me out. Excellent value if it does.

Mark

Dickie

I used the scissors to cut out a wetsuit from a sheet of neoprene - sore fingers!
I also used the saw to cut a small branch and then whittled it to the right size to do a temporary repair to a diesel injector on a truck that I was hitching a ride with.
I bought it in 1973 and still use the awl for starting screw holes in timber but one blade is broken, the scissors only have one side and the red plastic is warped from being sat in my jacket on a radiator in the Hill Inn; it also scorched the jacket!

Tripod

Victorinox used to repair or replace their knives free of charge. Does anyone know if they still do this?

Mark Wright

Tripod said:
Victorinox used to repair or replace their knives free of charge. Does anyone know if they still do this?

I hadn't heard that one.

My seized up one was definitely through no fault whatsoever of Victorinox. That was definitely my fault. Buying a new one is the least I can do. The old one certainly won't be going in the bin. Like Dickie's, my old one still has a few tools that aren't totally seized so it will still get plenty of use. 

Mark

traff

Accidentally, I once left a Victorinox and a Leatherman in the bottom of a damp bag after a sea fishing trip. They were in there for several months before I discovered them. The Victorinox was totally seized, however with a good soaking and thorough clean up it was stubbornly brought back to life, like new in fact. The Leatherman was a different story it was so badly corroded it wasn't worth the effort, it was just a ball of rust. So, I wrote to Leatherman expressing my disappointment in the quality of the tool and grade of steel, specifically referencing how the Victorinox was practically unscathed. Leatherman sent me a brand new one, great customer service but I wouldn't spend my hard earned on one again.

aricooperdavis

traff said:
Leatherman sent me a brand new one, great customer service but I wouldn't spend my hard earned on one again.

The most used tool for me is without a doubt the pliers, and the cheapest Victorinox with those is ?130, so it's a Leatherman for me!

Mark Wright

aricooperdavis said:
traff said:
Leatherman sent me a brand new one, great customer service but I wouldn't spend my hard earned on one again.

The most used tool for me is without a doubt the pliers, and the cheapest Victorinox with those is ?130, so it's a Leatherman for me!

The Deluxe Tinker has pliers and is only ?45.00

https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Deluxe-Tinker/p/1.4723?gclid=CjwKCAjw-qeFBhAsEiwA2G7NlxTCtd9giK0UC9ouQ90JrtmYD1wdMLcDMo4jfLKBT1XJcEZ3cybDOBoCDa4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hunter

I have used the awl on several occasions to dig thorns & splinters from my hands although it is starting to lose the point a bit now due to being used for making holes in other stuff as well.

PeteHall

aricooperdavis said:

Agreed, the pliers are without doubt the most useful thing. On this basis, my multi-tool of choice was always a Gerber, as the pliers can be opened one handed with a quick flick.

https://www.gerber-store.co.uk/needlenose-mp600-multi-tool-stainless-steel?gclid=CjwKCAjw-qeFBhAsEiwA2G7Nl5bByQ8PA5y5RaLpYLFt4ozq6snbedPC5J5_cYz5mhFID4FKWbXvlBoCK28QAvD_BwE

Possibly not as tough as a Leatherman, but I used to have one on me, pretty much 24/7 and had no issues at all with it.

tomferry

I use gerber also have re sharpened the knife on mine a few times , only thing I have managed to break was the posi screwdriver I contacted them they asked for a picture which I sent , they immediately sent out a full replacement ! I actually cut the posi broken end of and using the bench grinder turned it into a stubby flathead so now I have 2 multi tools . (y)

kay

I?ve got a utilikey.  The screwdrivers and bottle opener are good but the knife isn?t, to the extent that it?s easier to use the saw to cut a piece of string. But the whole device is the size and shape of a Yale key, so it?s sitting in my pocket with my keys all my waking hours, and demonstrates to me that a bad tool which is with you is more useful than a good tool sitting in a bag back in the car.

MarkS

I have had a Victorinox huntsman for 20 years now. It's been on almost every trip away I've ever been on, and used a huge amount. It's looking slightly worse for wear these days, mainly due to repeatedly heating up the blade for cutting rope. I've lost the toothpick and the spring has gone from the scissors, but it's still virtually as functional as it was when I got it. The only thing that's barely been used is the multipurpose hook. Still not sure what I'd use it for. :confused:

sinker

MarkS said:
The only thing that's barely been used is the multipurpose hook. Still not sure what I'd use it for. :confused:

For anyone asking "What's this for?" about ANYTHING on a Swiss army knife, regardless of which tool it is, the standard internationally recognised answer is always:

"Its for getting stones out of horse's hooves."

:)

tomferry

sinker said:
MarkS said:
The only thing that's barely been used is the multipurpose hook. Still not sure what I'd use it for. :confused:

For anyone asking "What's this for?" about ANYTHING on a Swiss army knife, regardless of which tool it is, the standard internationally recognised answer is always:

"Its for getting stones out of horse's hooves."

:)

The marlin spike was also traditionally used for this purpose in ww1 which is why it was on the utility tool also very good for knots .

Anyone who is struggling to sharpen their knife this is a brilliant tool I use it for every knife in the house  a few pushes your knife is sharper than new .

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=anysharp+knife+sharpener&client=safari&ei=CWurYPWuJobV1fAP59yCyAs&oq=anyshar&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAOgcIABBHELADOgIIKToECCEQFToHCCEQChCgAToICCEQFhAdEB46BggAEBYQHjoICAAQFhAKEB46BAgAEAo6BwgAELEDEAo6CggAELEDEIMBEAo6CgguEMcBEK8BEAo6BggpEBYQHjoECCkQCjoFCCkQoAE6CAgAEOoCEI8BOgUIABCRAjoICAAQsQMQgwE6CwguELEDEMcBEKMCOggILhCxAxCDAToECC4QQzoECAAQQzoHCC4QQxCTAjoKCC4QsQMQgwEQQzoFCAAQsQM6BQguELEDOg4ILhCxAxCDARDHARCvAToICC4QxwEQrwFQ9-cFWMWNBmCzlQZoAXAAeAGAAZ0BiAH0GpIBBTEwLjIymAEAoAEBsAEcyAEIwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

aricooperdavis

Mark Wright said:
The Deluxe Tinker has pliers and is only ?45.00

I stand corrected! I hadn't even considered that there might be pliers that fold away into the body of the tool in the traditional swiss army knife way - very cute.

That Gerber looks nice PeteHall - I've just snapped the screwdriver on my Leatherman so that might replace it.

Jopo

The 'multipurpose hook' (??) is for carrying parcels tied with string. If anyone knows another use I would be happy to be enlightened.

Jopo

Cantclimbtom

I bought a larger-bladed locking one, very simple with mostly just the main blade - at the time didn't need legal justification due to length or lock.
I must have had it hmmm.. 28 years? In all that time I have only once needed to suddenly whip it out in emergency and cut a rope (which was stuck and rock/boulders were raining down). But I have twice in my life lifted up a horse's hoof to check it, although both times there was no stone.. but there could have been. So despite never having owned a horse, the hoof thing still trumps any more macho uses.