Access to Rhiwbach Slate Mine under the CAL agreement

Dave Tyson

Cave Access Limited has an agreement with National Resources Wales/Welsh Government to permit registered cavers and mine-explorers to visit sites listed in the agreement and this has worked well for the last 5 years. Recently CAL has become aware of a restriction being placed on Rhiwbach Slate Mine - CAL has not been officially notified and we are seeking urgent clarification. The code on the padlock has been changed and currently Go-Below are the only organisation permitted access. It should be noted that Go-Below do not have any issues with independent cavers/mine-explorers using the mine under the CAL agreement, or Outdoor Pursuits Groups who are similarly affected.  The real bogeyman here is NRW.  :icon_321:

The issue which triggered the lock-out seems to be the (IMHO farcical) idea that humans could transfer covid to the local bats, who would then conjure up a new strain and re-infect humans.  There is zero scientific evidence for this and it seems to be propagated by a conspiracy theory group of bat lovers who think that people shouldn't go underground. NRW (who have a lot of bat huggers on their staff) seem to have fallen for this hook, line and sinker.

For the present could cavers/mine-explorers avoid going to Rhiwbach Mine until further notice. Since CAL hasn't formally been notified of any restrictions on other sites, we assume that access is still permitted. I was in Cae Coch Sulphur Mine last weekend and saw zero bats...

Dave
one of the three CAL directors

http://www.caveaccess.co.uk

NewStuff

Dave Tyson said:
The real bogeyman here is NRW.  :icon_321:
Shock! Horror! Total lack of surprise... although the reasoning is something straight out of leftfield.

This is also why this emoji needs to stay Jane, Tim & co.

Dave Tyson

Just to update this thread.

CAL have been in discussion with NRW about the licensing scheme for access to mines and we will move to a new agreement in the future. While this is taking place CAL can continue to offer access to the mines in its portfolio including Rhiwbach. We have been notified of the new padlock code and so anyone who wants to explore can contact permits@caveaccess.co.uk, register (if not already) and be given the code. This MUST be kept private and is likely to change on a more regular basis than before.

Dave Tyson
for Cave Access Limited

Paul Marvin

Dave when was the code changed ?, as you know we had a trip in there a couple of weeks ago.

We also saw no bats in Cae Coch although there is a nice perch that an owl has be using at the top adit on the fat post sticking up

Paul

Paul Marvin

NewStuff said:
Dave Tyson said:
The real bogeyman here is NRW.  :icon_321:
Shock! Horror! Total lack of surprise... although the reasoning is something straight out of leftfield.

This is also why this emoji needs to stay Jane, Tim & co.

Go Below would LOVE sole access again !

Pete K

Go Below are a permit holder just like the other legitimate users. I think they have a permit direct with NRW, so when CAL had recent issues, it didn't stop them using the mine. They are not interested in sole access at all. The other mine that they do actually own is not even sole use and is open for explorers to borrow a key, so this comment just sounds like a dig at a good bunch of people by someone who does not know what they are talking about. They even pay for use of the parking area for ALL Rhiwbach mine users. They are not the commercial bogey man that some people want to believe. Remember there is a family and numerous instructors behind that company name, human beings who care for that mine and have contributed a huge amount of time and money on its upkeep and safety over the years.

Dave Tyson

Paul Marvin said:
Dave when was the code changed ?, as you know we had a trip in there a couple of weeks ago.

We also saw no bats in Cae Coch although there is a nice perch that an owl has be using at the top adit on the fat post sticking up

Paul
The code probably changed just after you went in. It was remiss of NRW not to inform CAL of the decision, but that has now been rectified. NRW have concerns about liability for accidents etc. - It doesn't matter that CAL, Go-Below and the Outdoor groups have insurance in place. NRW know that as landowner they are the last port of call for claim, hence their solicitors are very alert to procedures and contracts.

I don't want to hear ANY bad-mouthing of Miles and Go-Below - As Pete has noted Miles has always supported independent mine-explorers as he was and is one himself.

Dave

AR

Wasn't it the case last time round that Forestry Commission Wales (now absorbed into the borg of NRW) stopped all access into Rhiwbach and Miles was the one who stuck his neck out and  managed to renegotiate access?

Paul Marvin

Pete K said:
Go Below are a permit holder just like the other legitimate users. I think they have a permit direct with NRW, so when CAL had recent issues, it didn't stop them using the mine. They are not interested in sole access at all. The other mine that they do actually own is not even sole use and is open for explorers to borrow a key, so this comment just sounds like a dig at a good bunch of people by someone who does not know what they are talking about. They even pay for use of the parking area for ALL Rhiwbach mine users. They are not the commercial bogey man that some people want to believe. Remember there is a family and numerous instructors behind that company name, human beings who care for that mine and have contributed a huge amount of time and money on its upkeep and safety over the years.

Well I know exactly what im talking about  .

badger

I can only answer that, have never had an issue with getting a key a from "go below" and in fact last time I was in "cymorthin" the owner of "go below" was doing some work and was only too happy to chat and show us what he was up to. But as the new feature does not appear on their website I assume with covid they have not finished it.

Paul Marvin

badger said:
I can only answer that, have never had an issue with getting a key a from "go below" and in fact last time I was in "cymorthin" the owner of "go below" was doing some work and was only too happy to chat and show us what he was up to. But as the new feature does not appear on their website I assume with covid they have not finished it.

Yes all is good now buddy