Best Ever Real Government Policy Songs

ZombieCake

Given freedom day approaches I thought I'd explore the decision making process.
So I'll start with a cover version by the very nice Miley Cyrus (absolutely fabulous version) of one of Pink Floyd's best  that can only give an insight of what happens in No.10 and how they may be influenced.
I just want to go caving and make films, is that too much to ask?
As ever thoughts, comments, and contributions welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNOWcoImDQQ

Fjell

Those who have been to university will have observed that people tend to join clubs to have to someone to hang out with because what else is there to do? Some people join caving clubs, some people join political clubs. The latter tend to be avoided by everyone else. But still, it?s a hobby. When everyone grows up, this is still the case. Some people still go caving, some people do politics. It doesn?t mean they are any good at running things, because who checked that when they joined those clubs? So politics is dominated by the the really persistent nerdy ones who (frankly) were unable to move on to a really well paid alternative. MP?s pay is about what we paid 25-30 year-old engineers, let alone Master of the Universe types setting up the next Google.

On top of that in the UK we have interesting management selection procedures. The Labour leader gets elected by 18-24 year olds, and Tories by over 70?s. Well, I have a collection of over 70?s and under 24?s in my care, and they are all crackers.

A further problem is that people don?t want to hear the truth. Back in March 2020, the senior scientists said that obviously the virus was here to stay, and that everyone would be exposed to it in the end. They were hoping a vaccine would help to get some herd immunity to minimise the death toll on the way, and the only important strategy was to string it out so we didn?t run out of hospital beds and lose people who could be cured. All very logical. But that wasn?t what people wanted to hear, so that was pretty much the last you heard of it until now. But again, here we are. It has actually gone way way better than they expected due to vaccine efficacy. The politicians job was to lie to the public until the end game became obvious, and you have to say we had the man for the job.

Cantclimbtom

Wow, so as I read it a strange nerdy type that nobody else likes, but gifted at being a lying snake to mislead the public is actually the ideal person for the job right now?

In that case we need Cummings back again. How do we start those petitions? ;)

Fjell

Cummings is a self-identified Marxist who thinks democracy is for lesser mortals. He is far from alone in political circles, but historically not the case with the Tories, who by definition thinks things should stay exactly the way they are thank you very much. Hence he had to go eventually. Thatcher was the last real radical the Tories had as leader who shifted the paradigm to any degree, and I?m not sure they have got over it yet.

The public gets the politicians it deserves by and large. Don?t assume it is better anywhere else, and it is still the least worse option.