Peoples Opinion

Paul Marvin

Hi Guys

Just editing a virgin mine dive video that has not been filmed before and wonder if I should put info like depths breathing gas used and artefact names etc etc or will it look like stating thew obvious ?  :-\

Brains

Add the detail - if it isnt wanted, peeps will skip it. If it. it will be essential reading!

mudman

Not being a diver I don't know but I would assume that gases used would be the same throughout the dive? Maybe add a 'summary' screen at the end with such things as gases used, dive duration, max/avg depth, duration etc?

Pitlamp

On a deep dive several changes of gas may be needed. That's why it might be helpful if these data were on screen (rather than in an explanation below). Admittedly this is mainly of interest to divers but it might help give perspective to non divers as to the potential complexity of modern cave diving.

Paul Marvin

Pitlamp said:
On a deep dive several changes of gas may be needed. That's why it might be helpful if these data were on screen (rather than in an explanation below). Admittedly this is mainly of interest to divers but it might help give perspective to non divers as to the potential complexity of modern cave diving.

I agree with John for a diver its one of the most and interesting things to know , think I will add the lot and take the flack  :LOL:

Steve Clark

I think most divers find any extra technical info interesting.

For non-divers it?s a bit of an unknown-unknown for them. I gave a talk to our mountaineering club about our diving survey project in France and kept in all the gas planning/mixing and logistics stuff in. Some people switched off, but there were a few who got really engrossed in it and asked loads of questions. That woke the others up.

It?s one of my biggest gripes about recent documentary film making for TV. They just dumb things down to avoid confusing idiots and over-sensationalise everything. Yes, it?s blindingly obvious that you can?t breathe water and you need a plan to get out of a problem before you run out of air. The fact that your ?air? may be safe to breathe at 70m but will kill you at 3m, or that you use the ?air? up 8x as fast at 70m isn?t obvious at all to a non-diver, hence it?s interesting.

The new paralenz camera will output the depth and temperature directly onto the video file. It is ridiculously expensive though. ?600+