48 Hour Camp in P8

C.Raven

I have just read in the South Yorkshire Times that somebody is planning a 48 hour camp for charity in P8, this does'nt seem like a good idea to me, should it be moved to a drier venue.

Les W

I guess it depends where in P8, there are plenty of drier places in the high level bits.

SamT

I agree les, why is it so dangerous to camp in there? so long as your above the stream way should be fine, and presumably they'll be looking at a forecast before they do it.

Rob

Is it just me, or is this a completely ridiculous idea?

I'm all game for a bit of sponsored activity, but the contestants need to deserve it, push their boundaries beyond what they feel comfortable with. In my experience camping underground is not any more difficult, hard or scary than a normal caving trip. In fact it's generally a more enjoyable, peaceful experience.

And that's without even getting started on the detrimental effects to the cave...

braveduck

Seems odd nobody seems to know the people involved in this project.
It's not your Sheffield friend Mr Moorhouse ,is it ?

graham

Rob said:
Is it just me, or is this a completely ridiculous idea?

It's not just you. I know of cases where parties have been refused permission for such camps, based on the pointless nature of the activity and the adverse effect on the cave environment.

You can bet these guys won't apply Lechuguilla standards to their clean-ups.

Pitlamp

H'm, when I first read this thread I must confess that my immediate concern was the potential problems caused to the cave. Having glanced at that newspaper article I'm well impressed at the motive behind the venture. It sounds like they're trying to do it "properly" by involving someone with experience and if they aren't that experienced themselves then, at a personal level, it's probably quite a challenge. At least they are getting off their backsides and trying to make a difference.

If anyone knows details of how they can be sponsored please can they be posted here? I'd like to give them a bit of something at least for their cause.

paul

From the article:

Chris, from Herringthorpe, Rotherham, and 13 others including his 16-year-old son Rhys, are set to crawl and abseil down the P8 Jackpot cave in Castleton.

They will then pitch up camp inside where they will spend the next 48 hours - all with the aim of raising ?1,000 for Weston Park Hospital.

It looks like 14 plan on camping down P8!!

Les W

If they are to be down there for 48 hours then wouldn't it be useful if somebody pointed them at a useful digging project.  (y)

It would be a shame to waste the opportunity.  ;)

JAM

Someone had better tell em' to take some dry kit, otherwise it'll be hypo and DCRO call out.

Still they're doing something other than watch the telly, good on em'.

Rich

Alex

Was that not on Dragons Den a while back?

How waterproof is it?, ie will it survive in a caving enviroment

Also imagine taking that out of the cave when its full of the brown stuff!

I think someone should write a book called "how to shit in a cave" as there is one for the woods.

owd git

check out the site, it basically  holds a bag to sh1t in :ras:
this may be easily removed from the cave  (y)
good on them  for an effort tho, eh?
who is gonna fetch the box out?
o.g.