Illusion pot/Dale Barn 3

Poigol5043

Just wondering who if anyone is still digging this cave , especially perfidia crawl ??

Also, does anyone know where the rope in the roof goes?? I got to the bolts and chickened out when I saw the rust...

Alex

I still want to go to the end of the crawl at some point if anyone is willing, I will just need some pain killers for the crick in my neck I am likely to develop going along it.

Wardy

a few years ago Deb Limbert and myself surveyed Perfidia and looked at the leads towards the end with assistance from Lugger, Mick Nunwick and Robbie Burke.
After the long flat out crawls you enter a succession of domed chambers. In the side of these a small extension was found, but with no obvious way to extend.
At the far end the furthest point goes through a tube that has been dug out into a small chamber with a tube continuing that looks like it has been dug. The problem is that where the clay has been removed from the floor, water has now filled the space. we visited this area a number of times to look at some leads just before this point and each time the water level was the same meaning that to dig this would require it to be either baled or pumped first.
Approx 10 metres back from the end is a chamber with what appears to be a small streamway off down to the left (looking in). Downstream goes back parallel to where you have come from and joins a crawl from a previous chamber. The opposite way heads parallel to the final dig, but looked a more difficult proposition than the draining the end.
The survey did reveal some interesting things - the passage runs parallel to the main drain and does not cross it as shown on an earlier survey. The end is not as far as previously thought, but is approximately 400 metres from Rushtons chamber and finally the reason we were interested was that it has not yet passed Greta junction - a point at which the main drain undergoes a significant change.
If you are going in look out for the weather and as winter comes on expect some long cold ducks!

Over the Hill

Alex said:
I still want to go to the end of the crawl at some point if anyone is willing, I will just need some pain killers for the crick in my neck I am likely to develop going along it.

You would get a bigger crick in your neck Alex getting there via the original entrance in the next valley with diving gear. :LOL:

Over the Hill

Alex said:
I would also need a cave entrance detector and mining equipment.

Well nothing changes I guess, the NCC in the 1970's had to go at night and dig it out to start with until we found the scar entrance. Is the scar entrance open still ?

Antwan

There was a team digging a few weekends ago at the bottom of the nice bit just off from the silo (opposite end to the crawl) could possible get contact details if your desperate to know who

Sweeny

Missile Silo bolted to 49m via ledges at +19m & +44. Very dangerous loose boulder roof 2/3m above final bolt close to surface but no obvious above ground feature.

Duck ditch

Good effort Sweeny.  I suppose the surface features must have been eradicated by the glaciers. 

During the first lockdown I visited dale barn cave.  It?s pretty well stuffed for a quick opening if ever permission would be regained.  I?m thinking that some avens have still to be climbed in anathema