Abbreviations

anfieldman

Call me stupid (many people do) but I have struggled to understand some contributions to threads due to the abbreviations sometimes used. For example: IIRC and AFAIA. What do these stand for and are there any others used on this forum which I might have missed? :confused:

Peter Burgess

Hello stupid. I too have problems with some of them.

As far as I am aware, and if I recall correctly, lots of people use these assuming everyone knows what they mean. Shall we think up some alternative interpretations?

anfieldman

I know I have used IMHO before but that is only because I managed to work that out.
Thanks for enlightening us Rob but I would not have known where to start looking.
So what does IIRC & AFAIA stand for?

dunc

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly it is listed on the link Rob gave.....
AFAIA - As Far As I'm Aware

cap n chris

The single most important acronym in UK caving (and every other adventure sport in which people suffer needless injury, excitement and post-traumatic stress) is:

SLAGIATT

Probably the most hackneyed expression in the country, excepting "at the end of the day"*.

See other thread(s):

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,827.0.html

* You may be surprised (or not!) to hear that "At the end of the day" was already an over-used expression by 1994! - and the dull cliche-mongers are still using it now, 13 years later, as though it's some kind of solemn shibboleth of erudition.

AndyF

Add..

IMHO In my humble opinion...or for dome people on the forum
IMO In my opinion.... ;)

AFAIK  As far as  I know

cap n chris

LIDSA, CAE, SDETIULEDMA, UEAMV, QNEULNUAEECC. DAIDIRIVVECDEFNP. ESOCNP, SICQODMAIEZ.

TFY! - Prize for finding the deliferate mistale; also I want the complete original text. Peter B might get it but I reckon it'll be a cold day in hell before anyone else does.

kay

Feel sorry for those of us who got into internet newsgroups 10 or more years ago, when acronyms were the norm, so that we started fashioning what we were going to say to fit the available acronyms (whoever says 'as far as I am aware' 'in my humble opinion' or 'your mileage may vary' as part of normal conversational speech?) and now find we are stuck with a whole lot of verbal tics that we can't shake off, even though in courtesy to our web site friends we no longer use the acronyms.

Feel especially sorry for those on uk.rec.sheds, who use code to protect themselves from the shock of hearing anything to do with work or other productive use of time, and find themselves in normal life talking about 'jbex'.