Abandoned miners dig their own way to the surface

L

Londoncaver

OK - it's a link to a news item (so relocate if necessary). But it's definitely underground related.

Two trapped Chinese miners dug their way to the surface four days after rescue efforts had been called off. The poor blokes ended up drinking urine and eating coal, but somehow survived.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,,2157607,00.html

D

darkplaces

Now thats Hard Core Mine exploration!

But not the urine bit  :yucky:

SamT

feck me - good effort.

That must be horrific - hearing the rescue operation give up.  :cautious:

Bob Smith

Hardcore? I've heard the yorkshire boys drink their own urine cos it tastes better than their beer, and isn't half as frothy! (and only comes in halves)

graham

Anne said:
Have you tasted it Graham?  :yucky:
Northern beer, yes.
vomit-smiley-015.gif

AndyF

They had coal to eat..... eee.... luxury......

When I wer a lad we had had to eat our own toenails we wez so hungry.... etc. etc.

Bob Smith

how pythonesque, i expect you got up before you went to bed and worked 26 hours a day too, had nought to eat but gravel, and picked piccalilli off ex models knees, grand.

D

Dep

Is it possible to extract any form of useful nutrition from coal given that it's full of hydrocarbon?

ttxela

Dep said:
Is it possible to extract any form of useful nutrition from coal given that it's full of hydrocarbon?

Haven't pregnant women been known to eat coal? I know of one lady who definitely ate chalk.

D

Deeply Mendippy

I rather liked this bit from the bbc website:

Then they "totally had a breakdown" and eventually began to use humour to help them get through the ordeal.

"I told my brother 'your wife is going to have to marry someone else'", Meng Xianyou told the newspaper.

His brother replied: "I laughed too. I said my wife could find a rich man in Shenyang.

"But then I thought, I have two children and my wife is ugly, so it would be hard for her to remarry."