A question of interpretation

kay

I've just been reading UWFRA's incident reports for 2007 - total of two caving incidents as far as I can see.

One of them (Hell Hole, difficulty climbing 70ft pitch) has the comment: "Note, wearing 1 item of inadequate. clothing!". Does this mean lots of items of adequate clothing and one which was inadequate (eg full caving kit except for 1 trainer on the left foot) or does it mean the caver was totally naked except for a pair of boxer shorts?

ChrisB

I'm glad to see you're taking your new responsibilities seriously. ;)

Pedantry aside, it's an odd thing however you read it.

knuckledragger

Oooh. You are inquisitive arent ya?
The casualty was found at the bottom of the main pitch wearing just underwear. The (totally inappropiate) clothing worn had got drenched and thought that removal of said clothing would help. He had descended in, using climbing equipment and had attempted to prussik out using prussik cords and other improvised equipment. No SRT gear and this pitch carries a waterfall.
Casualty had recently seen 'Bear Grylls' use a technique similar, but in very different circumstances - Polar conditions.

TREAT CAVES SERIOUSLY  :spank:

kay

thanks  ;)

Presumably had the conditions been polar, prusiking out in underwear would have been even more of a challenge?

kay

Hazards of being the official pendant. At least now I know where the word comes from

(Karl Prusik, an Austrian Mountaineer. Word first appeared in print in 1937. Source: OED)