Access to Cova des Pas de Vallgornera in Majorca

N

neillien

I am going caving in Majorca in March and i wondering if anyone knows the access for Cova des Pas de Vallgornera. A grid ref or something so we can find the entrance.Thanks

Joel Corrigan

Once upon a time I did a fair bit of exploration in Mallorca and if this is the cave I'm thinking of then you might have a few problems getting in. As far back as '97 the entrance was sealed (properly) with concrete  due to (I think) a combination of landowner/cave conservation concerns as the place was getting trashed by local dive schools.  Something may well have changed since then but not sure. And as for the grid reference, all I can remember is that it was in the grounds of an abandoned hotel. There's gotta be someone out there with up to date info?

Always figured that there's obviously a link to the sea as there's massive mixing of fresh and salt water in the sumps but the draught coming out of the entrance probably meant that there was no other dry way in....

Bit_Twisted

Managed to get a trip in last easter, stunning,
Worth a trip to Majorca alone.
The entrance doors impressive as well, 1" thick steel, and thats inside the block house!

Lurker

Bit_Twisted said:
Managed to get a trip in last easter, stunning,

Aha - I think I know who you are then Bit_Twisted  :)

It's an amazing cave! My understanding is that the dry entrance was only found by accident when a local hotel was digging a new cess pit, and it's all pretty securely locked. We were lucky enough to have somebody in the club who spoke a good bit of Spanish which is how it got organised. Don't have any email addresses myself but I think the one posted by Andys might have been our starting point.
I took a (pretty grainy) video of the trip here Cova des Pas de Vallgornera and I'm pretty sure we only got taken to the 'worst' of the pretty stuff aswell...

Cheers
Lurker

N

neillien

Thanks for that Lurker,

I will send them a email and hope they understand my english.