Pont Gam access to Nant Rhin

Alkapton

Please note that all ropes have been removed from Pont Gam so they can be tested.  I do not know at this time when or if they will be replaced.  So if you want to go there you will have the fun of dragging tackle bags through some very awkward and sharp tight bits - Oh joy what fun - I just ripped my oversuit to shreds  o_O

Alkapton

I visited Pont Gam Friday to replace the rigging and found the cave already rigged.    One cause for concern was at the third pitch where a lead in to the pitch head was initially belayed to natural.  The natural completely failed with almost no force on the rope (2 Kg max, I just pulled the rope a bit to test it).    So I rebelayed to what I hope is a more stable natural.

I have left a bag of ropes at the top of the first pitch in case they be needed later.  If anyone has looked into Nant Rhin to see if there are signs of drilling please reply here because in the next few days I intend to have a look myself.

damian

I know there have been several trips into Pont Gam recently to work on the bottom entrance to Nant Rhin. You have a PM.

adrianf

Work is well on the way to having the bottom entrance open again, but please don't go in there to "have a look" for the next couple of weeks as there's a real danger of another major collapse if you touch anything!  I'll post an update when we're done.

adrianf

The entrance to Ogof Nant Rhin in the Clydach Gorge is now open again, but please exercise caution.  The rockfall that blocked the passage about 5 metres inside the cave has been cleared and a considerable amount of stabilisation work carried out.  A small amount of remedial work will be completed in the next few weeks.