ogof clogwyn parking

A

andrew y

Hello all, Been a few years since i visited this cave , last time i parked on heads of valleys road  layby near to devils bridge but now roadworks are here a little lost wher to park. Looking at my os map i see cwm cladach nature reserve south east to cave enterance does this have a car park?? Always grateful for advice and other suggestions.      Andrew.

damian

Park high on the other side of the river by turning left at the bottom of the Clydach Gorge and driving past where you park from Llanelly Quarry pot. I'm afraid I dont' have a map with me and it's been (quite!) a few years since I last parked there but, if my memory seves me correctly, keep driving and park on a large righ bend with a waterfall (that you can shower underneath if you're hard!) on the left. The cave is not far away opposite and down a fairly steep track. I believe a handlane has been installed somewhere along here to make access safer for instructed groups.

A

andrew y

Thanks damien thats very useful information, I remember reading in january descent about a fixed handline being installed .

Ship-badger

The roadworks have not yet started in the Clydach Gorge, or at least hadn't last week; so you can still park in the layby and cross the river to get to the cave. However, a lot of people park at SO215121, near the western end of a pair of railway tunnels, and approach the cave down the footpath with the anchors installed (you have to provide your own line). If you park here, walk uphill on the tarmac, away from the tunnels, to a building (about 100m from the tunnels), then turn right, downhill, down an obvious path that leads directly to the cave.

A

andrew y

Thanks ship badger all suggestons given much apprieciated will get my map out and calibrate my sat nav to arrive here.

O

Otter

It is also possible to park as if going to Craig-y-Ffynnon, then walk past the Drum & Monkey pub, through the tunnel under the A465 and then up on to the side of that road. Walk up hill and descend to the river down a reasonably obvious path.

A

andrew y

Now thats a plan !! Tell the wife gone on a 4hr caving trip, 1 hr around clogwyn rest in pub ;)

bagpuss

Sorry to bump an old thread, with a little one in tow (7 years) which side would be the way to approach the cave do you think?

AA Speleo

With low river levels you could go across from the Heads of the Valley road (even with a 7 year old) you will get your feet wet, safer as per Ship Badgers previous message.