Carlswark - litter or digs?!

2xw

Hi folks,

Pulled out two tacklebags of shite from Carlswark last night, mostly fosters cans (empty), bits of fabric and food waste.

Further into the system and especially in big dig there are a significant amount of old digs, including lots of old rotten wood, dig trays, ripped up tarp and matting, cracked old pipe (and the gnomes which shall not be touched).

So what's current and what's litter? What, if anything, needs removing? Who has active digs in Carlswark?

If we pull out planks and dig trays, will anybody be grossly offended if they are reappropriated for SUSS digs?

2xw

So is that an unhelpfully cryptic way of saying that nothing should be removed?

Tommy

2xw said:
So is that an unhelpfully cryptic way of saying that nothing should be removed?

Dunno mate, if the gnomes come out with their stuff they might not mind?

pwhole

"We've got a right party going on down here Sarge. I think the middle one just threw something away...and it looks like he's holding a knife behind his back...get the Taser..."

gnomes.jpg

2xw

Feel free to waste your own time on this forum but please don't waste mine as well.
Your armchair will always be there but I have caving to do.

cavermark

I'd say if it's clearly of no use - rotten wood, perished tarps etc. then it's rubbish and can come out. 
Functional stuff and dig trays perhaps need to be left a while longer to give people a chance to read this thread (or perhaps a note in Descent and/or DCA newsletter) - it can be annoying to return to a dig to find all your gear gone, but not the end of the world, depending where it is (we've had stuff pinched from Pindale to make air rifle targets or some kind of skiing behind motorbikes in the quarry type activities  :confused:).
Norman usually has some spare plastic drums if you want to make up your own dig tubs in the meantime.... (or try one of the car wash places?).

... or perhaps just ask the gnomes about who last went digging there (if you smoke the right/wrong stuff through the pipe)  :tease:

Mark R

I'd agree with mark, remove the rotten wood and torn mats and tarps but maybe just neatly stack the drag trays until someone gets in touch.
Win yourself a second prize then :)

EDB4YLI55

He's not wrong, tuns of crap down there. There seems to be more and more accumulating also. I'll bring some crap out next time I'm down. I'll leave those gnomes, creep me out.

Inferus

cavermark said:
I'd say if it's clearly of no use - rotten wood, perished tarps etc.
Etc - like gnomes, they don't appear to be of any use. If in doubt........

To be fair I found the gnomes amusing, but have absolutely no idea why they are there! If anyone wishes to enlighten me then I'd be grateful. By the way, have the gnomes ever gone on holiday?

cavermark

I remember passing a gnome (as in climbing past - I've never eaten a gnome*) on flying buttress in the lanberis pass a few years ago.. don' t know if it was related...

*they do add to an 'elfy diet though..

Bottlebank

Inferus said:
cavermark said:
I'd say if it's clearly of no use - rotten wood, perished tarps etc.
Etc - like gnomes, they don't appear to be of any use. If in doubt........

To be fair I found the gnomes amusing, but have absolutely no idea why they are there! If anyone wishes to enlighten me then I'd be grateful. By the way, have the gnomes ever gone on holiday?

I seem to recall the DCC may have had a hand in the gnome story, could be wrong though.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Let's encourage 2xw and his friends to clear up what sounds like a considerable amount of junk from this cave.  Loads of Peak District cavers read this forum.  Can any local cavers given any good reason why they shouldn't?

Inferus

Bottlebank said:
I seem to recall the DCC may have had a hand in the gnome story, could be wrong though.
Should have guessed, what with badminton and rockets...

Badlad said:
Let's encourage 2xw and his friends to clear up what sounds like a considerable amount of junk from this cave.  Loads of Peak District cavers read this forum.  Can any local cavers given any good reason why they shouldn't?
If it's junk then get it out. Not a Peak chap but do recall seeing various odds and ends in Carlswark (Big Dig) a few years back. Gnome problem is too big!

EDB4YLI55

It's gnome wonder, the dig areas a mess, they were digging to get to where gnome man has been before.

Serious note though, I'll take a bag to clear up as I'm a peaky caver. I'll have gnome mercy.

2xw

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'll rope some people in and take a fair few tacklebags out

mikem

Either contact the local clubs to find out what is still being used or remove it with minimal fuss & wait to see what is missed...

Mike