Lava Tubes in Iceland - an appeal for info.

zippy

Hi all!

We're seriously toying with the idea of a couple of weeks in Iceland next year, with the intention of visiting a few of the lava tubes there.  Does anyone have any information/contacts?  We'd be particularly keen on hooking up with some friendly Icelandic cavers for a trip or two - and of course would be more than happy to reciprocate should said Icelandic cavers consider some Brit. caves worth a visit!

Thnx in advance.

Z!

rhychydwr1

There is a book:

CAVES OF THE LAKI FIRES /A Gazetteer of the Caves Mapped by the Laki Underground Expeditions of 2000 and 2001 Ed Walters et al.  A monograph on lava caves in Icleand [pub as] Shepton Mallet Caving Club Jl Ser 10 No 10 Autumn 2001 pp 337 - 418. 

GEYSERS AND HOT SPRINGS IN ICELAND by Bj?rn Hroarsson and Sigurour S Jonsson  1992  158 pp over 150 colour photos maps etc.  Land of Fire and Water, Iceland is famous for its geothermal activity.  Only one of these springs is in a cave.  Beautifully illustrated with high quality photos printed on art paper.  In English.  HB DW

ICELANDIC PICTURES drawn with pen and pencil by Frederick W W Howell 1893  176 pp numerous illus and map.  With a description and engraving of Surtshellir - the most famous cave in Iceland.  Complete with original picture cover.  HB

LAKI UNDERGROUND 2000 The Bournemouth / Dundee Universities Joint Expedition to Iceland / Expedition Report by Chris Wood et al.  May 2001 36 pp, 14 figs.  Numerous caves were discovered, explored and written up.  SB glossy A4 together with:

LAKI UNDERGROUND 2001 The Bournemouth and Shepton Mallet Caving Club Expedition to Iceland / Expedition Report by Chris Wood et al.  May 2002 32 pp, 13 figs.  Numerous caves were discovered, explored and written up.  SB glossy A4. 

REPORT OF THE SMCC EXPEDITION TO THE REYKJANES PENINSULAR June 2003  [in] Shepton Mallet Caving Club Jl Ser 11 (4) Autumn 2003 pp 76-186, illus.  Over 50 Icelandic caves described and surveyed.  An important work. SB 

SURTUR / Icelandic speleological Society's Bulletin 1992 Vol 3  77 pp many B&W photos.  Numerous cave descriptions, surveys etc.  Searching for caves; On the flanks of Heroubreid etc. In Icelandic with English Summary.  SB

THE SUBTERRANEAN WONDERS OF ICELAND by M T Mills 1981  19 pp location map 209 references.  An invaluable introduction to the caves of `The Land of Fire and Water'.  SB

mrodoc

Ask the SMCC they are Iceland regulars. I can put you in touch with one of them. I have an Iceland slide show on my computer donated by one of them. Very nice it is too.

zippy

Hi mrodoc...

Thanks for the offer of help - I think you might have missed the fact that I've just appended to an old post!? 

Yes, some peeps from SMCC were very helpful.  We visited a couple of months ago and had a great time.... only just got as far as putting the pics online tho'!

thanks anyway,

Z!

pyrite

Hello Eveyone .... my turn to ask for Iceland info now...

Very short notice i know ..... i'm off to Iceland 3rd-10th September 2013 on a sight seeing expedition with super/collider ..... I would love to do a small bit of caving/lava tube viewing whilst there  - would really appreciate some help from anyone and any contacts of icelandic cavers who might like to show me around!?

Ed. W. ..... you seem like the man to know!?  8)

Many Thanks in advance, Natasha.

complex

Hi pyrite,

The Shepton Mallet Caving Club have a lot of info on Icelandic caves in their library (both Shepton journals and other books) - if you can get to mendip at some point before you go you would be welcome to have a nosy through their collection.

The Iceland Speleological Society website is http://speleo.is

The best contact for Icelandic cavers is Bjorn Hroarrson - an Icelandic caver / photographer / explorer, who has written a number of books on Icelandic caves, such as http://www.forlagid.is/?p=4938 (in Icelandic, but you should be able to work out basic information such as GPS coordinates). Bjorn is currently running a travel agency with his son, so if you wanted to go on a guided trip you might want to get in touch with him - the website is http://www.extremeiceland.is and http://www.cavinginiceland.is

Icelandic caves are lava tubes with (generally) horizontal passages (no underground pitches). Lava is very sharp, so gloves, tough boots and hard knee pads (eg skateboarding knee pads) are recommended. Some caves can be cold, with decent sized ice formations forming in the winter months, so thermal layers under a boilersuit is probably the best clothing to wear. They are (generally) dry with no streams in them.

Have fun!

Ed W

Hi Pyrite,

Everything Complex has said is good, he ought to know as he lived there for a few years!  Given your timescales though, I can send you some useful stuff quickly.  So if you PM me your email address I'll send you some stuff through.

Cheers,

Ed

Alex

I can't find any of the books mentioned online and the Shepton Mallet journals about iceland do not appear to be for sale on their for-sale page. The book Complex linked is not about Icelandic caves and is something to do with nazi's so I am after some up-to-date information...

I too am going off to Iceland next month (June) and if possible I would like a copy of your information Ed W that you have been sending people. I doubt I am going to get down to Mendip between now and then to look at club journals. If anyone else has any useful information to send me or indeed going caving there and would not mind me and one other to tag alone.

Thanks

Alex

langcliffe

Alex said:
I can't find any of the books mentioned online and the Shepton Mallet journals about iceland do not appear to be for sale on their for-sale page. The book Complex linked is not about Icelandic caves and is something to do with nazi's so I am after some up-to-date information...

You may find this link useful. There is an indication of what is available from the BCL.

Alex

Thanks, I don't suppose there is an english one available of https://www.forlagid.is/vara/hellahandbokin/ which is the most useful one on there. It is also sold out.

mikem

The Red Rose have many of the Shepton Journals:
http://www.rrcpc.org.uk/wordpress/club-publications-s-z

Mike

cavemancolumbus

We had a really nice trip to Iceland's longest (and second longest) lava tubes; Surtshellir and Stef?nshellir.

Drive to where the gravel road turns into an F-road, then walk for several hours down the F-road to the cave. We left the car in the evening and did a night hike, camped and woke up to an incredible view. Was a bit chilly, the tent was frosty. You could send a good day exploring this area. Closeish to Borgnes.

For better directions see:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/iceland/hallmundarhraun/attractions/surtshellir/a/poi-sig/1499364/1326035

Note that this is just down the road from V??gelmir (www.thecave.is), which you have to pay for.

Iceland's great. Enjoy.

yrammy

See the attached which is a list of what we have at the British Caving Library on Iceland. Email me on
bcra-librarian@bcra.org.uk if any are of interest - but I wont be in again until Weds 23rd.
Mary

Attachments

• iceland.pdf
    234.1 KB · Views: 214

paull

found some in the lava field near the Blue lagoon last week , i didnt have any lights so couldnt explore them, there is also a few along the cliffs around the Seljalandsfoss area