Canon camera hacks (powershot D10)

dunc

Not sure if anyone is aware of the hacks already but thought I'd post just in case. / A very short review for the D10.

I've just recently purchased a Canon Powershot D10, after a year or two of dithering over which camera to buy - had to be a compact, waterproof and preferably work with Firefly 2s or possibly have long shutter option.

I was informed by a friend who had purchased one that they did work with FF2s (ie firing a single flash rather than having a pre-flash), upon getting underground the other weekend I tried and failed to get anything working! After much tweaking of settings (and cursing said friend for giving duff information) I resorted to borrowing another slave from someone on the trip (FF3-style) although with mixed results, owing to this I resorted to the long shutter setting with a 'slave' manually firing the flashgun (long shutter is max 15s on the D10 and an option I didn't have on previous camera so a learning curve!) and on-camera flash with occasional slave usage when it worked - the results can be seen here.

Later questioning my friend he informed me he had used a 'hack' on his camera, after downloading and using this I found that my camera could now fire a single flash and worked with FF2s! CHDK adds extra functionality to a variety of compact Canon cameras; manual flash, even longer shutter, RAW files, histograms and loads of other stuff I've yet to get my head around or decide if I'll ever use.. Can be used as a one off or loaded every time, obviously you take the minimal risk for the extras - worth it? Probably.