Sunguramy Photography

ChrisJC

I would remove the direct e-mail link - you will be buried in spam!

Make it an image or something.

Chris.

Amy

I have a great spam blocker, but yeah not a bad suggestion. Not sure how much text vs having a link at all matters these days? thought most spambots would see the "mailto" in the link and email anyway.

Mike Hopley

Amy, your photos are fantastic! :bow:

Amy said:
I have a great spam blocker, but yeah not a bad suggestion. Not sure how much text vs having a link at all matters these days? thought most spambots would see the "mailto" in the link and email anyway.

You're right. Spambots will scan for links with href="mailto: ...", as well as scanning all text for @ symbols.

You can defeat them by using javascript to insert the link into the page. Spambots will only parse the HTML, so they never see the email link. To make the site accessible you would then need a contact form as a fallback for users who do not have javascript.

In principle spambots could also parse and execute javascript, but that's too resource-intensive to be worthwhile. It's simpler and more efficient to harvest the vast numbers of unprotected emails, and ignore the few emails that are cloaked.

Antwan

Mike Hopley said:
Amy, your photos are fantastic! :bow:

Amy said:

You're right. Spambots will scan for links with href="mailto: ...", as well as scanning all text for @ symbols.

You can defeat them by using javascript to insert the link into the page. Spambots will only parse the HTML, so they never see the email link. To make the site accessible you would then need a contact form as a fallback for users who do not have javascript.

In principle spambots could also parse and execute javascript, but that's too resource-intensive to be worthwhile. It's simpler and more efficient to harvest the vast numbers of unprotected emails, and ignore the few emails that are cloaked.
or a serverside include via a little pearl script? :halo: that aside, nice set of pics

Mike Hopley

Antwan said:
or a serverside include via a little pearl script? :halo:

It needs to be done on the client. The spambot isn't reading source files off the server; it's reading the HTML document as delivered to a browser.

martinm

Great photos Amy. There are plenty of ways of hiding emails addresses, etc. This page:-
http://www.robelle.com/tips/email-cloak.html has some good tips / examples.

However, the most effective way would be to use a proper contact form (which calls a server-side script in maybe Perl or PHP) where your email address is never seen...

Amy

I've never liked email forms. I've had my personal rabbitry website (www.amysrabbitranch.com) for over 10 years now. It's always just been my email listed or the text "email" within mailto. I've never had spam issues. I get maybe 1 or 2 spam emails every few months, if that.

For now, I'm quite comfortable with how it is. I found, at least with my rabbitry, that when I used a form rather than an actual email, I got much fewer inquiries. I think people like email better. If it becomes a problem I'll use one of the many ways of making it harder for spambots.

Sadface: no one has emailed me yet other than my bf who tested it for me before launch. Awww.

I do have a question though: some photog sites list print pricing. Others just say to contact them. Should I add a pricing sheet for prints? Trying to think of pros/cons of that. I offer lustre, metallic, and canvas wraps.

The blog will come as soon as I can figure out how to integrate wordpress onto that page. I figured people would understand one coming soon page! Hopefully I'll have it figured out in a week or two. I've never blogged before but I think it will be fun! I plan on putting trip reports, photog information, etc on it. A mix of story and "how to"s. I hear mix at giving photography advice but the way I see it, no one can replicate style and I don't really plan on sharing that kind of information, more like what settings I used and such. Hrm I guess I shouldn't say I've never blogged before. I tried to do a photobased webcomic a while back. I used wordpress with some comic addon and then styled it. I wonder if it still exists...haha it does, I never took it down. http://amysrabbitranch.com/EyelinerBunz

Mike Hopley

I think people like email better.

I agree. Contact forms exist to address the needs of the website owner, not the user.

Amy said:
If it becomes a problem I'll use one of the many ways of making it harder for spambots.

That would be closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Spambots follow links just like Googlebot does; if your site were to become popular, you might find yourself with a buttload of spam. Once they have your email address, it's too late to take preventative measures. I have seen this happen with a small business who used feckless web developers. Their "info@business-name.com" email address became basically useless, as it was almost 100% spam.

I'm guessing your rabbit site does not get much traffic or links, which is why you're not seeing much spam. Now imagine what happens when one of your stunning photos is featured on a major news site...

I'm not saying, "you ought to do this...". It's totally your call, of course. Just offering a heads-up.  :)

I do have a question though: some photog sites list print pricing. Others just say to contact them. Should I add a pricing sheet for prints? Trying to think of pros/cons of that. I offer lustre, metallic, and canvas wraps.

If you can list prices, do. People are more likely to buy online if they can see the price. Usability studies have found this is a common complaint about E-commerce websites.

graham

langcliffe said:
I suggest that you should ensure that your HTML and CSS validates. Whilst one cannot guarantee browsers interpreting mark-up correctly, there is more chance if it validates.

Validate HTML of home page

You have a point. My html validation tool found 28 errors.

No css errors, though.

Amy

Working on fixing validation errors...I did a check but my tools are perhaps old...I coded websites years (re: decade) ago often and usually am stuck confused between old and new ways of doing thing.

I "hid" my email (couldn't get the one ya messaged me working right but I figured out a workaround similar).

And I added pricing for what I could.

As I figured, no sales or anything of course. (The classic "OMG love your photos you sell them no way I want some!" but no one follows through) At least I have a real website now.

Blog will be coming eventually...

Mike Hopley

Amy said:
Working on fixing validation errors...I did a check but my tools are perhaps old...I coded websites years (re: decade) ago often and usually am stuck confused between old and new ways of doing thing.

If you get stuck or would like some help, ask. :) Your document is actually very close to being valid; it only needs a few minor tweaks.

To start with, you have a stray <body onload="init()"> on line 180. This will really screw up HTML parsing. Just delete this and put it in place of the first <body> tag, on line 164.

I "hid" my email (couldn't get the one ya messaged me working right but I figured out a workaround similar).

The method you have used should be sufficient.

Amy

I tried from my iphone and noticed that the forward/back etc doesn't work on the gallery pages. it loads the larger image but just as a new page so to speak. Ideas? Does jquery not work on iphones?

Mike Hopley

Hmm. That's odd.

Jquery is just javascript, so it should work on iPhones. Your version of jQuery is quite old, however. Maybe try updating to the current version?

Amy

Got it working...a facepalm moment (as is usual when it's me with coding). I had to change the navigator.useragent to allow it to load on mobiles.  :-[

Mike Hopley

Amy said:
Got it working...a facepalm moment (as is usual when it's me with coding). I had to change the navigator.useragent to allow it to load on mobiles.  :-[

If you're not facepalming on a regular basis, you're not a coder. ;) It is the nature of things.