Finding someones' rope already in place

Antwan

So, you turn up at your desired cave/pothole and are preparing to rig the entrance pitch and you notice some is already down there with a rope on the pitch. What do you do?

With Climbing on sea cliff's if an abseil rope is already in place you can either drop your own, or knowing that you will be climbing up again us the one already there as you *should not* need it, and its generally accepted that other partys can use your rope if you leave it in-situ

But what if all the available bolts are used fro the belay and you would need a rope to get back out of the cave? if you used the rope but didnt see the other party and they pulled it before you were out that wouldnt be too good!

so whats the accepted practice?

Les W

If you have to go in that particular cave then generally I believe the practice is to rig over the other rope with your own rope. If the cave is on 'p' bolts then there is plenty of room for another set of mallions, if the cave is bolted on spits then you rig your mallions into their bolts and leave your bolts hanging on the mallions as well. They 'should' re-rig your bolts as they de-rig theirs.  :-\

Ideally you ought to go to another cave instead but that isn't always a realistic option. You could always go to the cafe/pub/gear shop and return later.  ;)

gus horsley

I remember finding a rope dangling down a rise in a lead mine in North Wales once, with a tantalising passage leading off about 30ft.  As I couldn't see what the rope was attached to I gave it an experimental tug and brought down not only the rope but also several bits of rotting wood and a manky bit of sling.  I've never trusted anyone else's rigging and would always do my own, trying my best to do so where it won't interfere with what's already there if it's obviously just been rigged.

SamT

Yep - I rigging your own rope along side the other, utilising spare bolts as best you can and trying separate the two final  ropes by a foot or so (lop sided Y hang). So what happens if you find 2 ropes have been rigged ahead of you... :-\ .... Knitting!

Where you find a ladder/lifeline already rigged, there has always been a tradition of leaving yours coiled up at the top (in an obvious place where it cannot be overlooked or clipped to one of the bolts), using the one thats already rigged, and relying on the other party to rig yours and drop it down the pitch when they exit.
Its been done to death on previous threads on these forums before if you use the search tool .