Pay Sank trip info

adamski555

Has any one been down this new pot near grange Rigg any info would be great including pitch rigging info.Also which number Descent was the article about its discovery in.

Trog

P5 features in 'Not For The Faint Hearted'. There is a full description of the route and rigging info. Ropes needed are 10m, 10m, 12m and 10m for a handline at Life Boulevard. Looks like it can be rigged with 2 bolts and 2 slings plus naturals.
I've not done this cave myself, but other cave descriptions in NFTFH are incredibly accurate and easy to use.
Happy caving
Trog

kay

P5 is not the same as Pay Sank, although it is near, and named after it (provided your schoolboy French is bad enough). Pay Sank was recently pushed by the Bradford BALLS team and joins with the aven  at the far end of Grange Rigg.

Trog

I stand corrected, sorry folks. I always thought that these two were the same thing. I look forward to reading all about it when someone with local knowledge posts.

langcliffe

As no one with more information than me has replied, I'll offer my two pennies worth having gone down in later 2006. I seem to remember a couple of short pitches (5 metres each?), and a final 22 metre pitch in Pinnacle Chamber. It's a short cave, but interesting, and the last pitch is very impressive. It was rigged at the time, and I was by myself, so my memory is a bit hazy.

kay

ULSA trip to Pay Sank here with pics and some info
http://www.ulsa.org.uk/rants/rant.php?rant_id=538

Try Descent no 189

kay

Ged Benn, one of the digging team, writes

Pay Sank should be rigged at the moment with our gear unless someone has nicked it!!.
The entrance sections are climbs down scaffolding where no tackle is required. The first pitch
requiring tackle is the Hole in the Wall at the bottom of a 3m climb. We rig these together from a
spit using a ladder (8m). The streamway is then followed to the big (Pinnacle Hall) pitch which
requires about 30 - 35m of rope. There are then two short pitches each requiring about 15m of rope.
The second one has only a short vertical section and has been climbed.

cave junky

Just as a word of warning to anyone planning in doing this trip, the traverse line at the top of the Pinnacle Hall pitch starts very close to the pitch, so when you see the first bolt, one step futher and you a speeding downwards very fast.
It is a very interesting place to look round, not somewhere I thought I would ever get to before we dug it open. The grand piano is impressive in the roof once down the pitches, there doesn't seem to be anything holding it in place.
Ally