Petzl Myo XP - any good for caving?

tony from suffolk

I was in the local outdoor shop this morning & noticed they're flogging off Petzl Myo XP lights.

Are they any good for caving? They say "Water Resistant" but I'm a bit unclear what this means!

Any advice gratefully received!

SamT

is this a wind up.... :-\

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,5335.0.html
http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,1059.0.html

Basically, I'd say no. There shite plasticy toy lamps (albeit bright) that arn't up to the job of 'caving lamp' IMHO.
It would appear that hundreds of others disagree with me. Many have them have bought replacement MYO's for the ones that had just bust

sheez  o_O

graham

Depends who you ask. I've used one underground for several years. I wouldn't cave dive on it But then I don't cave dive. Several others on here have also used them for caving with no real problems.

If you ask Sam T. however ....

potholer

Is it the old Myo XPs being sold off, to make room for the much brighter 2008 model?

How much were they going for?

tony from suffolk

(Note to self:- before bothering folk with stupid questions, do a search on the subject first...) :-[

OK, thanks very much for the info. chaps.

Despite your reservations Sam, which I understand, I think this light will probably do me fine for the gentle sort of caving which needs be my advancing state of senile decay permits nowadays. I suspect it's a step up in reliability over my trusty old Nife (bought originally from the MNRC for thirty shillings).

It appears this light is not actually very "Water Resistant", but appears able to survive the occasional dunking, a fact I find surprising given the sophistication of the electronics within.

potholer said:
Is it the old Myo XPs being sold off, to make room for the much brighter 2008 model?

How much were they going for?

They've got 'em reduced from a RRP of ?55 to ?30. I think I'll lash out on one; it can be a present for my wife to help her on the cellar steps as she ventures down to fetch my nightly bottle of beer.

potholer

If it's the old model, I wouldn't call it an outright bargain, but with the much brighter new model going for ?50-?55, ?30 looks reasonably fair.

If it's the new model, it would be very cheap.

(I know the performance of a given light hasn't got worse just because technology has moved on, so someone's getting more for their money than people who bought one in the past, but that's the way things are working at the moment with lights.)

Les W

I thought about asking Tony to get me one to replace my current Myo XP but then thought "Why? My current light is still working fine"  ;)

tony from suffolk

potholer said:

Strictly academic, since I've already decided to buy one, but how to tell? It just says "Myo XP" on the box thingy.
Perhaps the latest ones are designated "Mk 2"? No, that would be too simple.

graham

By my calculation you could buy half a dozen or more of these for the same price as one scurion. I wonder if the latter will last six or seven times as long.  :-\

Charlie

tony from suffolk said:
potholer said:

Strictly academic, since I've already decided to buy one, but how to tell? It just says "Myo XP" on the box thingy.
Perhaps the latest ones are designated "Mk 2"? No, that would be too simple.

they have recently changed the colour of the plastic, I think that means that the new colour is the new model...

so, blue with yellow buttons=old. grey with green buttons=new.

I think...

Charlie

L

Lincolnshire poacher

In defence of the Myo XP.  Mine is mainly used for general exploring type stuff.  IE stuff it in your pocket when looking at new sites.  It also gets used for working on various cars at home and at work as well, and have to say it's put up with alot of abuse.  Never let me down yet.  Oh and at least you dont have to hold the battery compartment lid on with tape ( a la Scurion).

Peter Burgess

Just remember, when someone starts going on about how in their opinion a piece of equipment is rubbish, they are having a rant at the manufacturers and not at the people who choose to buy the cheap kit. I sincerely hope they are not having a go at the buyers anyway. Personally, I'm with those who are happy to replace cheap lamps more frequently than spend out an unaffordable amount on something that might last three times longer and still end up more expensive in the long run.

SamT

No - not the buyers Pete - as I just said on the other thread - you pays your money - you takes your choice.

and not even at the manufactures - cause they don't market the myo as  a caving lamp. - its for finding your way to the bogs on a misty night on a campsite (or as petzl would rather have it - spotting the next belay on pitch 19 that 20 pitch Yosemite wall)

I do worry that people new to the sport see instructors using them and think - oh thats what you use then, I'll go out an buy one of those, without perhaps being informed of the pros (cheap) can cons (they break too easily).

(so perhaps that does cover having a go at the buyers/users)

Peter Burgess

SamT said:
No - not the buyers Pete - as I just said on the other thread - you pays your money - you takes your choice.

and not even at the manufactures - cause they don't market the myo as  a caving lamp. - its for finding your way to the bogs on a misty night on a campsite (or as petzl would rather have it - spotting the next belay on pitch 19 that 20 pitch Yosemite wall)

I do worry that people new to the sport see instructors using them and think - oh thats what you use then, I'll go out an buy one of those, without perhaps being informed of the pros (cheap) can cons (they break too easily).

(so perhaps that does cover having a go at the buyers/users)

No, not really. You say we make our choice - as long as it's informed choice, which is why we are having this discussion!  (y) Nobody is having a go at anyone. As long as we stay safe and enjoy ourselves, eh?

potholer

SamT said:
...and the fact that instructors might get a decent discount?

cap n chris

SamT said:
they break too easily

Any evidence that a MYO has broken?

Nothing suggests they are flimsy in my experience of using them. Frankly, they seem far more fit for caving than many other lighting units.

whitelackington

Are Speleos still selling Lithium for caving
They don't seem to want you to actually use them for caving
many people at MCG lashed out loads on Lithium  & Nova, I've got three  :eek: