Ready to get caving and survey

caverbabe

Hello folks,  many many moons ago I did a little survey work (mostly dumb end of tape and instrument) but I'm no sketcher.  I'm keen to learn and work at any level on surveys - will travel for mud and glory, as it were.  I have my own clino and compass, but am rather rusty in their techniques.  Anyone have a survey going on where they are needing a hand and don't mind doing a bit of instruction/refresher training?

cheers,
Paula

footleg

I have an ongoing project to resurvey the West Kingsdale System in Yorkshire, and am always looking for help. My visits up there are infrequent due to the constraints of having a 2 year old daughter at home and living in East Anglia, but if Yorkshire is within the range of places you are willing to travel I am happy to teach in return for assistance with the project.

We have use of a DistoX and PDA for paperless surveying, so you will get a chance to play with modern kit as well as traditional techniques.

wookey

The Cave Surveying Group annual meets always include the option of some refresher training for surveyors, so coming along to one of those can be useful. The next on is Derbyshire in April, I think.

SamT

I'd be interested in attending this if you can point me in the right direction Wookey.

wookey

According to the flyer I got at hidden earth, the Tech symposium is 17th-18th April 2010 at Horton-in-ribblesdale village hall (So I was wrong about the Derbyshire bit - Sorry!).

The Saturday will be assorted things of technical interest; the Sunday will be CSG meet day. The focus will be on Paperless Surveying (DistoX) and anyone who wants to learn about how this all works is exceedingly welcome.

We are happy to teach conventional surveying techniques too for those who prefer not to spend quite so much on tech: (conventional surveying kit ~?160, paperless surveying kit ~?400).

If there is any other aspect of surveying that youd like help with (software?) or do experiments about, then that's all good too.

If no-one has any better suggestions then a session on geo-referencing cave surveys might be a good idea (i.e. how to upload.overlay surveys onto online mapping systems), like these two examples:
http://seagrass.goatchurch.org.uk/~mjg/cgi-bin/map.py (currently bust - I've kicked Martin Green to fix it)
http://mendipcavinggroup.org.uk/sections/upperflood/surface.htm

I will post on this forum again nearer the time.