Roaring Hole-Chapel-le-dale

Getwet

A small group of us relativley new to caving went down Roaring Hole recently.

We were unable to get below Masons Chamber, the "hole in the boulder floor" proved too tight for us.The Northern Dales book does not suggest this is particularly tight

Has anyone any experience of this, is the hole particularly tight, is it that we are just poor cavers, have the boulders moved since the guide was written, were we looking in the wrong place ???? :?:

Any feedback would be good

Bob

dunc

Good old Roaring, bit of a classic I would say!! :)

I've only been once, about 4 years ago, and upon entering Masons Chamber we dismissed the obvious hole in the floor as too small so spent a while looking for the way on..... only to find there was no other way on apart from that hole. :?

I do have this hazy memory of it being a bit awkward but we did get past it.

G

George North

It seems to be a bit of a characteristic of the Northern Caves books. They quite often neglect to mention tight squeezes/awkward bits, especially in the less well trodden caves.

It makes it much more exciting when you never know what your going to come across next though :D

G

George North

It seems to be a bit of a characteristic of the Northern Caves books. They quite often neglect to mention tight squeezes/awkward bits, especially in the less well trodden caves.

It makes it much more exciting when you never know what your going to come across next though :D

Getwet

Thanks for the comments

As I propably suspected, we were not fully committed to forcing our bodies through such and improbable gap ,ie we are crap !

I have noted that some of the guide desriptions take a bit of reading and interpretation, but as you say it keeps it interesting