Burnley caving club

Paulaner

Hi
I am quite keen to try caving and I live in the Burnley area, I have tried to contact Burnley caving club through there website but the email address does not seem to work.
can anyone on here help or have any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Alex

I did not even know Burnley had a caving club! There are more choices on offer then Burnley though, I suggest you search further a-field. I live near you in Clitheroe and I cave with Black Rose Caving Club & Yorkshire Subterranean society.

/Plug.

www.brcc.org.uk - Have lots of useful tips for starting out cavers on the website, friendly bunch. Most are from around here/blackpool some further afield.
www.yssuk.com - Have there own hut near Settle and lots of members also friendly hehe. From all over the place.

end plug.

There are lots of other clubs about try www.trycaving.co.uk

If you don't have your own transport some of those clubs have there own minibus, but that tends to be the university ones.

Alex

Reading the Burnly website it seems the best thing to do is turn up:

Novices are introduced to the sport at training sessions held at our club premises in Burnley usually on Thursday evenings 8 - 9 pm (click here for location map). The club has an indoor caving training tower, a meeting room and indoor climbing wall. Prospective members and visitors are welcome. Introductory and novice caving meets are held regularly during the year.

Paulaner

Just an update , after the best part of a year in the caving club I thought I would post a brief summary.

First trip: the usual upper and lower long churns with an obligatory decent of dollytubs and out into the magnificent Alum pot.

Second trip: Valley entrance  though kingsdale master cave then into Swinstoe great aven and back out.

Third trip: A solo trip though Longchurns and  borrins moor.

Forth trip:Calf holes through to browgill followed by old ing and birkwith to the canal.

Fifth trip. Lancaster Hole collonades though kaths way and fall pot.

Sixth trip: Red moss pot

Seventh Trip: Rumbling Hole

Eighth Trip: illusion pot through the duck into dale barn missile silo.

Ninth Trip: bottomed alum pot.

Tenth trip: Bar pot to gaping gill and a trip into millennium chamber.

Eleventh trip: Short drop to gavel then a trip down gavel .

Twelfth trip: Notts pot down to the ireby sump.
I was supposed to be down lost johns today but  couldn't  make it. Gutted!
I am sure there will be another one or two more  before the end of the year.all in all the best thing I have ever done, I have had one or two moments where I thought what the ?@ck am I doing here but the feeling I get when I get back out is hard to  beat.
The most memorable ? The first time I walked out of dolly tubs into alum , illusion pot , those formations in the missile silo are just stunning.
The most hairy moment , getting out of rumbling hole  on the last ascent , I was exhausted and the last y hang rebelay was a real struggle. However I and finding it easier and slowly getting fitter . I can't wait for next year!