Beginner in Matlock

P

photographer

Hello everyone

My name is Chris. I did a bit of climbing many years ago and loved it but that was that, would love to do some caving. I think im quite lucky where I live as their are loads of mines, prospects. Who do I contact, I take it there is membership I have to think about somewhere?

Thanks.

paul

You could try the Orpheus Caving Club. We are Derbyshire based and have a caving hut near Parsley Hay (local to Monyash). Have a look at our website in the link above for more info.

cap n chris

Welcome to the forum! - I hope you have plenty of fabulous and enjoyable adventures and if you feel the urge to write any trip reports I'm sure plenty of us would like to read about them. If you get any good pictures, too, you might also care to post them (or links) so we can see what you've been up to.

There's been a bit of a shortage of trips reports lately so the more, the merrier!

:)

Brains

We cave fairly often around that way - will let you know when we are next out and about.
Loads of clubs about to help learn the ropes and share kit. Some places require BCA insurance which you can get through a club or from direct membership of BCA. Most peak caves/mines are just turn up, maybe pay a trespass fee, and off you go.

P

photographer

OK thats great, will sort out a BCA membership just to be sure as far as insurance is concerned. Am a keen photographer so can contribute in photos. Also really interested in industrial heritage. Looking for easy stuff of course, not too strenuous, anywhere.

Thanks again.

zippy

If you like your industrial heritage, you could do worse than going on a few of the PDMHS meets.  They're generally pretty easy going (and it's film-show season at the moment) but you'll get out-n-about, meet a few people, visit a few holes, learn some archaeology, and occasionally get access to some lesser known sites.

Most meets you can just turn up - there's a list on them on www.pdmhs.com

Z.

Goose

I live just down the road from you in Wessington(the village famous for its fish and chips), if you fancy a local trip anytime let me know. As you say, plenty of mines round our neck of the woods  (y)