Merstham Stone Quarries

cap n chris

Received this email today 9th March 2005, re: Surrey Mines.

Merstham Stone Quarries

From 15th April 2005 all caving access rights have been removed by the landowners for Football Field also known as No4 and Quarry Dean Farm also known as No2. Any person found on site will be prosecuted by the land agents. Information passed on to CAC by WCMS.

Apparently it is a sensitive subject and co-operation will help the issue; please do not aggravate the landowners.

cap n chris

Guess away!

Reasons not stated, just that it's a sensitive issue; prodding the hornets' nest with a pokey stick best avoided.

H

hole_in_the_rock

cap 'n chris said:
Received this email today 9th March 2005, re: Surrey Mines.

Merstham Stone Quarries

From 15th April 2005 all caving access rights have been removed by the landowners .
<snip>
Apparently it is a sensitive subject and co-operation will help the issue; please do not aggravate the landowners.
:(

Whoa!
signs have been up on the land for a few weeks now saying nothing about April 15th, the land owners say as from now! They have even chained up the entrances (which WCMS leave open for everyone).

For heavens sake, please dont aggravate the situation by going there at any time before the 15th!!!!

The land owners are really dis-chuffed, and WCMS must have something to do with it because their web site has lost most of it's contents about football field, and has very little about the sites now. So has the NAMHO site (run by WCMS). All field trips for the sites cancelled!!!

I want to know what happened to the resolution they were expecting to get?
Who is to blame?
And most of all... How can it be put right so that we can go there again?

Any one else know more than this detective, then please let us all know. Maybe together we can help sort out the problems?

cap n chris

UPDATE at 18th March 2005.

The landowner has advised CSCC that the site is CLOSED with immediate effect. He does not want bunches of cavers turning up, trying to visit the site before the (incorrect) deadline which was published; the site has been padlocked by the landowner.

T

Tunnellad

What's the situ at the mo with the site, is it still 'sealed'?? Any up-dates on this??

cap n chris

Since it is over a year since this topic cropped up it seems an annual review is in order.

Has anything changed?

Peter Burgess

If I remember correctly, didn't DP contact the owners via their website to arrange a trip? Perhaps darkplaces, or anyone else who has made contact to arrange a visit, would like to update us about progress, if any.

The owners have placed on record their position regarding access, on their website. I am not aware of any reason to think that matters have progressed at all since then, unless someone knows otherwise. For the record, the site currently states 'Unfortunately there is no access currently available. We hope that this will change in the future, but we have experienced a few problems with trespassers who have used the land without our knowledge or permission. Until their actions can be explained in full, there will be no access.'

This has been discussed ad nauseam here, so unless matters change, why don't we just leave the 'dead horse' to rest in peace rather than flogging it any more?

D

darkplaces

No change, I was told the answer wasnt a Yes or a NO just more time was needed. I'm not going to push anything maybe leave it a year.

cap n chris

It was decided to leave things for six months which then became a year (which has now elapsed) before reviewing things.

I therefore presume that in terms of Access this is a long term dust settling job.

Peter Burgess

Chris

You've summed it up pretty well.

I am not aware of any great pressure for access. Very few people ask what is happening. There are plenty other things to be doing. Loss of access to any site is regrettable, but these things happen. How often do people ask when access will be possible again at Sludge Pit or Nine Barrows Swallet?

cap n chris

Peter Burgess said:
How often do people ask when access will be possible again at Sludge Pit or Nine Barrows Swallet?

I had to change my phone number due to it being red hot all the time :wink:

Peter Burgess

Seriously, though, Chris, these are nice caves which I remember visiting and enjoying. Is this a case of respecting the owners wishes for a long period, and getting on with life elsewhere?

graham

Peter Burgess said:
Seriously, though, Chris, these are nice caves which I remember visiting and enjoying. Is this a case of respecting the owners wishes for a long period, and getting on with life elsewhere?
Surely we always respect landowners' wishes? :wink:

In this particular case it is the sure and certain knowledge that they will not change their stance. they are not the only ones in this area that refuse access, I am sure there are others elsewhere in the country. Just take the long view that as long as they aren't quarry owners the caves will still be there when the owners have long gone.

cap n chris

Yes, certainly in the case of Sludge Pit there's nowt can be done for the foreseeable, although I don't have the full story on Nine Barrows (but it's the same owner, innit, Graham?).

Anyho, it just goes to serve as a good example of why access shouldn't be taken for granted and the reason why keeping good relations is so important.

graham

cap 'n chris said:
Yes, certainly in the case of Sludge Pit there's nowt can be done for the foreseeable, although I don't have the full story on Nine Barrows (but it's the same owner, innit, Graham?).

Anyho, it just goes to serve as a good example of why access shouldn't be taken for granted and the reason why keeping good relations is so important.

Aye 'tis.

G

Going Under

Graham wrote:
Just take the long view that as long as they aren't quarry owners the caves will still be there when the owners have long gone.

Yes very true, but then so will we be, probably(long gone that is). I say access should be pushed for in the nicest, most diplomatic way possible.
I.E. If you don't ask you don't get. :wink:

T

Tunnellad

Peter Burgess said:
Tunnellad:

Where were you today? Your expertise with a bucket and shovel were missed.

Peter

Hello Peter, bit of a belated reply, but since starting the job i've not been involved in any digging, but i would like to come up one sunday very soon  (y)