Ricklow

T pot 2

Does anyone know if the connection between Ricklow Cavern and the Northern lights (Lathkill Head Cave) is still open ?

T pot

JAM

I was last in Ricklow Cave in May..  What I think is the connection needed bailing; clogged with thick glouppy mud.
You may be able to work yourself through the mud without bailing, but that woud be well knackerin' !!

Rich..

JonP

I went in the dry summer and it was draughting like mad but would require some work. The slop was quite close to the roof.

bsaden

I can second that!  :yucky: When we were in a while back, it was in the same state. One of us went in a 'reasonable' way, but drowning in 'chocolate' was a real possibility, so retreat! Draughting well, but methinks digging all over again is the only solution.

JonP

I think it'll probably be underwater by now though... Until a next dry summer.

MarkC

On Sunday I saw that Lathkiller Passage was dry as a bone, but a couple of guys from Orpheus that we met in there went a bit further (to Electric Crab I think they told me) said there was water rising in the sump.

Mark C

JonP

Could you hear water flowing? It flows down the right hand side whilst heading up-stream.

MarkC

JonP said:
Could you hear water flowing? It flows down the right hand side whilst heading up-stream.

Perhaps, they said that they did not want to hang around when they saw it rising.

John B

For the record, before the rain on Friday 1st October I found the cave (Lathkill Resurgence Cave / Pudding Springs) at the base of the tufa dam to be bone dry. I got in on the Saturday, even  after 22mm of rain and took some pics, though the water was only a short distance away upstream.

After the rain on Sunday 3rd the river started to flow, and by afternoon on Monday 4th was running all the way to Bubble Springs. Home Grove risings were still dry. During the following week the river retreated right back to a point above Bateman's Shaft, though Home Grove was flowing slightly, and Lathkill Resurgence Cave was still under water. So levels are dropping quickly.  Don't give up just yet!

JAM

It was myself and another OCC member that was down in Lathkill Head cave the other weekend and water was running in from the right before you turn off to what  think is a connection to "Gloop Canal". From what I could see the pond was not out flowing in any direction, just filling up!!  :eek:  So I decided it was time to retreat, not knowing first-hand how fast these passages start to fill; I had a beginner in tow also.

It's certainly pretty damn dry down the dale and Batemans was also looking very low..
If we don't suffer too much rain over the next few weeks it might be worth havng another look at the chocholate fudge.
NOTE TO SELF:  Take a soddin' snorkle!! and some goggs'  :unsure:

JonP

I dont know if anyone knows really how quick the response is to flood but it does fill to the roof and quite a way up to the waiting room.

T pot 2

Looking at The English Nature report number 223 by D Mycroft
                                                                                    K Bentham
                                                                                    K N Page (editor)

In respect of what is allowed in a SSSI I noticed that on the page 13
Figure 14 Lathkill Head Cave - Ricklow Cave
That the Northern Lights right hand branch continues unsurveyed.
Does anyone know if this was ever pushed or surveyed to a conclusion ?

T pot

Rob

T pot 2 said:
That the Northern Lights right hand branch continues unsurveyed.
Does anyone know if this was ever pushed or surveyed to a conclusion ?
There was a strong draught coming from there on Monday...  (y)

T pot 2

Rob
It wasn"t for the want of trying. The mud at the time of finding the northern lights gradually rises until it got to small to continue. It is an astonishing draft however and would be a great dig whilst this dry weather continues.