Cave Registry Photo Request - DCA

Pete K

Hi and thanks for looking.
The DCA Cave Registry is an online database for cave and mine sites in the DCA area. We currently have 769 sites listed, some of which show location, entrance photos, description, rigging guides and surveys. Sadly, a lot of those sites do not yet have half of that information. DCA volunteers are busy updating the entries all the time but rely on details submitted by you lot. There is not the time or manpower to complete the registry in house, especially as it is all done by volunteers with jobs and social lives.
Right now, DCA would love to have more entrance photos. If you are planning on going underground, or for a walk, please check the registry to see if there are any entries that need a picture and take a camera with you. The photo only needs to show the entrance in enough clarity that a caver stood there would recognise they were at the right site from your photograph. Please don't post pictures here or on the DCA Facebook page. Email them directly to the DCA Cave Registry Secretry via https://thedca.org.uk/home/contacts
The DCA Registry can be viewed here and you're encouraged to take a look if you've not used it yet.
https://registry.thedca.org.uk/registry/registrysearch.php
If you really fancy making a seriously useful and appreciated contribution to the DCA Registry, we'd love people to take a patch of land (e.g. their favourite walk) and check the listed sites for entry photos, grid reference accuracy and any other info that is missing.

Right now there is no list of what data is missing from the registry so it is best to view it just before heading out to get some pics. If you are planning a good long walk with this as a goal, as some people have been doing this year, perhaps email the Reg Sec first to check you're not duplicating work.
Thanks for any and all help on this.

Pete K
posting on behalf of the DCA team.

aardgoose

A list of sites requiring pictures is now available

https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/photos/caves-missing-images?types%5B0%5D=1

Pete K

As you can all see, there is a bit too much work there for just a handful of DCA officers. We need your help to make that list vanish! There are some easy pickings and some more esoteric gems on that list, something for everyone.
I'm sure aardgoose will keep us updated here when a major update is done.

alastairgott

There's quite a few on there that could be ticked off, in fact I think the cave registry secretary himself can provide photos of longcliffe mine and pot. :p

Unfortunately, I went to streaks on Saturday for the first time, didn't take any photos of the entrances though.

Giants hole?!?

Katie

Mark - don't go out photographing in Stony dale without checking what has been done first  :)
Me Freddie and Bounce had a walk Friday morning and ticked off some sites at the top end of the dale
(Hole in the wall, hobbit hole, steaks top, yoga top and lower, bagshot row, watergrove sough shaft, strawberry hole, hanging flat and layby shelter)

Rob

Is there an uptodate list of cave entrances that need a photo still? The link above doesn't seem to work.

Also, i presume the registry.thedca.org.uk is now fully replaced with peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves , for the foreseeable?

mrodoc

I have photos of Hamps rising and several of Darfar ridge cave if that is of any help.

Rob

Thanks for the confirmation Phil. And great work by all involved.

May be worth having a note on the site to whom to send entrance photos to.

pwhole

In the short-term it's me, at: cave-registry@thedca.org.uk and it's on the DCA Contacts page, but I agree it would be useful to also have that link on the PDCI Contact page at least. And yes, mrodoc, please do send me any entrance photos - that we don't have at least - I do often get sent duplicates.

Also to clarify the camera icon thing - my view of the site wasn't working correctly before - if the site doesn't have photos it has a red camera icon with  '+' next to it, and if it does have photos it's a silver camera. As can be seen, there's not a lot for Hamps/Manifold :)

https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves/hamps-and-manifold

Scud

I have many of the pictures / caving documents of Mel Milner's that were passed me to after her death so i will look through them.

pwhole

Just as a reminder on this topic, the DCA Cave Registry is still woefully short of many entrance photos for popular sites in the Peak caving area, particularly Stoney Middleton and Bradwell catchments. Stoney in particular gets a lot of hammer from cavers, and many of the sites look very similar, so it's a great help if cavers can accurately identify a site, especially when so many are close together. Some of the further catchments like Bradford, Dove and Hamps and Manifold are also very poorly documented, and DCA don't have many officers local to those areas to easily cover them, so if you can help us, please consider a surface walk with a camera. We have updated quite a few lately but there are still huge gaps.

Ideally a location shot is very useful, showing the general area with the entrance included if possible, and then a close-up of the entrance itself. They can be emailed to me at cave-registry@thedca.org.uk.

The catchment pages can be viewed at https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves and the sites that do have photos have a small grey camera icon - the ones that don't are the ones we need. Please concentrate on the missing ones for now as most of our current ones are more than adequate - improvements can be added later. Thanks in advance.