Victoria Aven Peak Cavern

speleosam

I have n't been in Peak for years. I have seen some reports that the aven has been re-rigged so can someone let me know if the ropes are in place and  if its been done recently.
thanks

Benfool

Get in touch with a Peak keyholder (https://www.peakspeedwell.info/) and they should be able to tell you the state of the ropes up there.

B

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the early noughties there was talk that the old ropes up to VA were in a dangerous condition.  We went up there to replace them with some used rope access ropes from a job we'd been on.  However, we found that the ropes already on there (11mm bluewater if my memory is correct) were in better condition than those we were going to replace them with.  So they stayed on and we used them quite a lot over the next few years. 

It was the lowest section of the rope (by the ducks) that had caused the concern as it was an old DCRO rope dated from around 1985 and subject to the flooding of that part of the cave.  We cut the bottom length off and took it to Lyon with a batch of work ropes to test to destruction.  It broke at something like an 18kN pull knotted, which was only a few kN less than the expected MBL which gave us a lot of confidence to carry on using them.  I don't know if that is the same rope which is still on there.

Also around 2005 I reclimbed Busters old route into the larger part at the top of VA.  That was a rising diagonal bolt route going off from the last rebelay ledge which ascends to Elephant Head chamber.  I left this rigged and encouraged others to go up and look at the three interesting leads up there - one is up two more pitches and very close to a connection to holes in Winnets, one appears to be the downstream development of White River series and one a huge choke on the (?)toadstone.  Not been part of that scene for more than ten years so don't know what may have changed in that time.

A very interesting area of Peak  ;)

Mark Wright

I think Mark Richardson and myself were probably the last ones up there, almost 3 years ago.

There is a potential problem with a large rock slab that has come slightly away from the wall as you traverse into the Elephants Head Chamber. series. It is possible to do the traverse without touching it but I think it's more likely people would use it as a foot hold, I did.

It is quite a big slab and if it fell would likely take out all the current rigging and a large rock bridge partway down the shaft. If it all came down it could block the entrance to the further reaches of Peak Cavern.

The Peak key holders have been discouraging people from going up there. The ropes were all perfectly serviceable 3 years ago so there's no reason to think they are any different a condition now. They weren't the same ones Badlad climbed up.

Mark R. and I developed an engineering plan to deal with it but other commitments (excuses) prevented us from completing it.

With the temporary/permanent halting of our Eldon Hole dig maybe it's time we sorted it out.

As Badlad said, there are some very interesting leads up there, although the possible surface connection would be with Cavedale rather than the Winnats. 

Mark

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Mark Wright said:
......As Badlad said, there are some very interesting leads up there, although the possible surface connection would be with Cavedale rather than the Winnats. 

Mark

Oops, quite right.

Pete K

Mark Wright said:
I think Mark Richardson and myself were probably the last ones up there, almost 3 years ago.

The OP should contact a Peak keyholder or someone at TSG. I've been up there in the last year along with a number of others and the rigging was good at the time.

pwhole

I bolted and rigged a 'new' route on the old northern spit route (I presume Buster's) to the bridge near the very top (Victoria Chamber) last year, all on stainless throughbolts. It's accessed via a traverse along the west wall from the 30m ledge.This avoids all the flaky rock and everything is glued together with lovely flowstone - it's safer than anything else up there. The old route from Elephants Head Chamber up to the top is very dodgy and that should definitely be discouraged now this other one is in place. As Pete said, contact the keyholders for access details. We may even draw up a topo if we get time. But I would be very keen to see (and possibly help) the flaky rock lower down meshed and fixed, as there's still plenty to go at up there.

Incidentally a trip is already booked up there for this Saturday, so please don't make it any busier!

speleosam

Thanks. The key holder has supplied a topo for the route as well as what to watch out for in terms of the loose stuff. My club has a permit for this Saturday jointly with the Red Rose what other club is doing this trip

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Peregrina

There have been a fair few trips up there this year that I know of.

When I first went up I was warned not to touch the flake and I've passed the same advice on to others since; and except for that little bit it all seems fine.

Seriously though don't touch the flake. It's easy enough to avoid if you're careful.