Paul Dold

Juan

Paul Dold (1973 - 2016)
  Many will have heard of the death of Paul Dold on August 30th while diving at East Portholland near St Austell. The large number of public tributes on Facebook show that Paul was loved and respected by his family and others in whatever activity he took part in - his work, caving, the Scouts, cycling and photography.
  Paul "Eddie Sharp Pencil" Dold first came to Matienzo at Easter 2006 and from then on made himself an integral part of the expeditions he took part in. His positive, cheery and sometimes wacky outlook soon made him many friends.
  His involvement with the Scouts (along with Gary Cullen, Paul Fretwell and Tony Radmall) gave him the opportunity to bring young people out to Matienzo where they were able to experience the thrill  of new exploration. One notable example was the new Cueva Llueva series, pushed and explored in the summer 2007.
  Paul was also a leading light in the exploration of Cueva Torno and Mareserection Hole along with major extensions in Cueva Ria?o, Cueva Hoyuca, and further finds in Cueva Llueva. In recent years, his increasing interest and skill with cave photography meant that many of the explorations he was involved with were documented with his photos. Examples of his work can be seen on the Matienzo Caves Project website, for example in Cueva Risco and Torca la Vaca.
  He was one of a team that was instrumental in finding and digging out the new back door into Torca la Vaca. His necky underground climbs up tall rifts to hammer on the rock to a waiting surface team was a major element in the successful location and excavation of the new entrance.
  Paul was an inspiration and help to many whenever he visited Matienzo. He will be missed and remembered with respect and affection.

badger

Juan, a nice tribute. I sad cause I know he had such plans for pushing in Matienzo
he had so much affection for the area.
I hope in the future the plans he had for the caves he was involved or had interested in go big.