Discovery of Surprise View, Peak Cavern

Pitlamp

In 1949 the Mucky Duck choke in Peak Cavern was passed - as was Buxton Water Sump. The two parties met at the "Surprise View" pitch, hence the name given to this feature.

Shortly afterwards there was a "joint statement" about this event published (I think) in BSA material, probably written by Trevor Ford. I ought to know where this is but I can't seem to put my hand on the reference.

If anyone can easily point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

alastairgott

Are you thinking of a 70year anniversary? Jan 2019?

The year after there's some speedwell ones, Wind tunnel Dec 1984 and Treasury Jan 1970. (35 and 50 years respectively).

Pitlamp

Yep - I was aware of that anniversary - but that's not why I asked the question. Next time you see Ann ask her, as she knows all about this little project. It's something which is of benefit to the TSG. (Or contact me directly if you're really curious.)

Still haven't found that reference yet so, if anybody can help, please do.

Thanks

Beardy

one of these ?

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/bin/bcrasearch?STRING=Peak&JOURNAL=BSA&FIELD=General&TOPIC=All

Beardy

Pitlamp

Aha! Many thanks Beardy; I bet it's Cave Science Volume 2 No 10.

Will have a trip over to the NPC Library to have a look; I reckon you've nailed it.

Wasn't the choke originally called 'Black Swan"? I'm sure there was a story behind the name change to Mucky Ducks after it was passed.

The naming of parts of Peak Cavern was quite amusing, especially 'Squaws Junction'  ;)

D.

Allan

Hi Pitlamp
It is indeed in BSA Vol 2 No 10

There is a long article (p53 to p56) about the first non diving trip beyond the Mucky Ducks, also there is a timeline of events on p60, where it gives the date of the first finding of Surprise View as 13/02/1949.  The date of the two parties meeting at Surprise View is 20/2/49, from the way the article is written, I suspect that this is when it was named, not on the 1st trip.
Cheers
Allan

Pitlamp

That's right Dan - the Mucky Duck was originally a sump called the Black Swan Syphon. It later got corrupted to what people presently call it (in a similar fashion to the Golden Lion pub up here in the Dales being referred to by locals as the "Brass Cat").

Allan - thanks for confirming; now I know it's definitely worth rooting out.

kay

Pitlamp said:
That's right Dan - the Mucky Duck was originally a sump called the Black Swan Syphon. It later got corrupted to what people presently call it (in a similar fashion to the Golden Lion pub up here in the Dales being referred to by locals as the "Brass Cat").

I grew up in an area at least two pubs called "Black Swan" - uniformly referred to by locals as "Mucky Duck". I'd be astonished if any feature named "Black Swan" managed to keep its name uncorrupted.

bograt

Thank you Alistair for reminding me of 'happier' days when I opened up Windtunnel, it took 5 trips in 6 days to do the job and I've never been through to Speedwell! (is it really 35 years? -AARGH) it took me years to get over "Windtunnel Fatigue" then I seriously did my back in and all but retired from serious caving. This was before Ben opened up the easier route and eased the access for everyone.
I recall saying to one of the original explorers (he's active on here so I won't embarrass him) that there must be something off on the left just before the link with the divers section but he was adamant that there was nothing, it was some years before Moose looked that way. Happy memories ---.

Talking about pub names reminded me of the entrepreneur who was buying up pubs in the Peak District and renaming them after his favourite Tolkein characters, the "Prancing Pony" lasted less than a week before it was known as the "Bonking Donkey".

Mark Wright

bograt said:
I recall saying to one of the original explorers (he's active on here so I won't embarrass him) that there must be something off on the left just before the link with the divers section but he was adamant that there was nothing.

That was of course the White River Series at the start of Liam?s Way.

I think I said that immediately after the actual breakthrough with Keith Joule & Clepto and was based on the fact I had just joined the famous INGUWTA society. I?m never going up wind tunnel again.

I remember the final banging trip you and I did up there on the Wednesday night before the breakthrough as if it were yesterday.

It?s good to see you back Terry.

Mark

alastairgott

bograt said:
I've never been through to Speedwell! (is it really 35 years? -AARGH)

Well it's not quite 35 years yet, but I'm sure we'll have a get together when it is. 18 Months to go.

I've not met you yet Bograt, but I'd like to think you'd get through. and with some deft organisation get you out of Speedwell.