For sale - Perryfoot/Dr Jackson's

Brendan

We went down Perryfoot last night, but when we went to ask for permission noticed the farmhouse was for sale. The owner confirmed that the lot includes the access to Perryfoot and Dr Jacksons.
Listing at https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65315341.html

No mention of the caves on the brief, but worth DCA being aware, or any cavers looking for a new place

mikem

Other websites are showing it is no longer on the market, so may already have a buyer.

Seems they allowed access for geology students as well:
https://www.countrysideclassroom.org.uk/places/2026

Mike

JB

Imagine actually owning The Yoga Hole and all the delights that lie beyond!

Fatman

I never did DJ's (6ft tall) after a horrific tale of someone from the club taking 4 hours to get up Yoga hole. Not sure what the height limit is? Everyone who did it was shorter than me. The one that got away along with Quaking.

JB

Fatman said:
I never did DJ's (6ft tall) after a horrific tale of someone from the club taking 4 hours to get up Yoga hole. Not sure what the height limit is? Everyone who did it was shorter than me. The one that got away along with Quaking.

It does make you think getting out. I can't remember whether it's on the way in or on the way out (or both) but the length of your thigh bone seemed to me to be the limiting factor for some reason. Not like one of those flat-out squeezes where you can soldier on through. I can see how tall people could find it a bit traumatic in there.

pwhole

I found the Iron Maiden in Perryfoot to be pretty traumatic the only time I did it too - I got my welly stuck going through and ended up hanging downwards inside the squeeze with my foot irretrievably jammed. Luckily I had someone behind me who was able to wrestle my welly off and I dropped to the floor like a sack of spuds. Going back out didn't seem half as bad for some reason, but I'm quite happy to leave that one to the smaller types. Dr. Jacksons holds little appeal for me either. But it would be a shame to see access lost all the same.

Boy Engineer

I had the dubious pleasure of doing Dr Jackson's in the early 90s. I'm 5'10", and some 25 years on wouldn't go back under any circumstances. The experience of exiting Yoga Hole was sufficiently traumatic that I now scan "Council to fill in potholes" articles to see if has been included. :eek:

mch

Boy Engineer said:
I'm 5'10", and some 25 years on wouldn't go back under any circumstances.

Many thanks for that comment Boy Engineer. I have sometimes thought "I must do Dr Jackson's" but as I too am 5'10" I shall now cross it off my list (not being a masochist).

Boy Engineer

Far be it from me to put anyone off. I'm sure you'd find the inner reaches of the cave interesting - you can stand upright in some of it, which is about the minimum I now expect. Definitely a collector's item, if only for bragging rights as I enter my dotage.
It probably doesn't help if one is a bit claustrophobic (and increasingly so with age) although friends have suggested a range of treatments that might, ahem act as 'relaxants'. Despite the occasional "I'm not going through that" moment, I'm still going underground. It is some comfort to know that even 'hard' cavers sometimes find stuff psychologically challenging.