Cavers in Oman?

hughpenney

Does anyone know any cavers currently living in Oman?
I'm going there in a couple of weeks and would like to get in touch with any cavers for a possible trip, or to plan a future trip.

I went in 2000 with other Red Rose members and we explored a few caves in the south.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Check PM with some contacts from our trip. See https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=21313.msg271175#msg271175

crickleymal

I read a book by a British officer who was on secondment to the Omani forces back in the 70s or 80s. It would seem that there is quite a bit of caving potential there judging by what he was saying.

rhychydwr1

There is a book:

CAVES OF OMAN by Samir Hanna and Mohamed Al-Belushi 1996  128 pp 30 diagrams and 90 colour photos.  This book is guide to the formation and geology of the karst and caves of Oman.  SB

AL HOOTA CAVE by Helmut Sattmann and Robert Seemann 2009  64 pp, many colour photos.  Describes a famous show cave in Oman.  SB in English and Arabic 50/50. 

GROTTE AL HOOTA H?HLE by Helmut Sattmann and Robert Seemann 2009  64 pp, many colour photos.  Describes a famous show cave in Oman.  SB in French and German 50/50

hughpenney

Thanks for all the replies! It looks like no caving this time but maybe in the future?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roperat

I've only just seen this post. Have you been yet? I'm here in Oman. Based in Muscat

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tony from suffolk

I worked out in Oman for many years off and on back in the 70s/80s. I was very interested in the caves there, but at the time there was still friction between Oman & the North Yemen as was. I spent half my time in Salalah in the south, quite close to the border & I'd heard there were extensive cave systems up on The Jebel Akhdar. When I enquired about these from the locals I was told in no uncertain terms not to go near them because they harboured rebels who would slit my throat without blinking. Put me off a bit...

Graigwen

tony from suffolk said:
I worked out in Oman for many years off and on back in the 70s/80s. I was very interested in the caves there, but at the time there was still friction between Oman & the North Yemen as was. I spent half my time in Salalah in the south, quite close to the border & I'd heard there were extensive cave systems up on The Jebel Akhdar. When I enquired about these from the locals I was told in no uncertain terms not to go near them because they harboured rebels who would slit my throat without blinking. Put me off a bit...

There were certainly exciting times in Oman in the late 60s and 70s. I had friends in the Popular Front for the Liberation of Oman who reckoned they could easily defeat the Sultan and his army. However they also had to take on most of the SAS who were out there fighting a secret war.

tony from suffolk

Indeed. I treated a member of the SAS who got his leg blown off somewhere up on The Jebel. The Sultan was very pro-British, having been educated at Sandhurst and aided by the British to overthrow his father. Lots of dodgy dealings out there I could tell you about but then I'd have to etc. etc.

Graigwen

tony from suffolk said:
Indeed. I treated a member of the SAS who got his leg blown off somewhere up on The Jebel. The Sultan was very pro-British, having been educated at Sandhurst and aided by the British to overthrow his father. Lots of dodgy dealings out there I could tell you about but then I'd have to etc. etc.

Yes the coup that placed Sultan Qaboos on the throne was planned in Britain. It was unusual in that it was widely expected for a long time before it took place. One of my university tutors had previously been Consul-General in Muscat and we used to wind him up by asking if the old Sultan had been overthrown yet. The new Sultan not only improved the efficiency of military operations but also seduced some of the would be revolutionaries to join him in slightly modernising the country.

I think any attempts at cave exploration before the 1960s would have been risky because of general lawlessness in the country areas, while from then on until 1976 you would have to be mad (or a member of the SAS) to venture into the southern part of the country.

Adler

I found this topic because I may visit Oman within a geological field trip at the end of the year. And why not have a look for some cavers?
But all I can find about caving in Oman is from tourist attractions. Not the kind of caving I prefer and way too expensive for me. Is there nothing like cave exploration from bigger caving clubs or a local cave club?

Joe90

I've spent the last eight years in Oman. If you want you can drop me a message and I may be able to help.

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk

Simon Cahill

This topic is quite old but I'll post here anyway. The caving scene is booming in Oman, there are a couple of dozen serious cavers and we are finding many new and some quite spectacular caves. Here are a couple of recent publications.
http://www.gso-oman.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/alhajar-18-REV1.pdf
http://www.gso-oman.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Al-Hajar-2016.pdf