Helpers needed Sun 19th January - change of date from 11th Jan

kay

The remediation works for Lancaster Pot have been changed to 19th Jan to avoid Police/CDG/CRO activity on 11th Jan. (If you're already involved in the Sell Gill fencing replacement on 19th Jan, please stick with Sell Gill - you're very much needed!)

Circulated on behalf of Red Rose Cave and Pothole Club (RRCPC):

Following the sad events over the weekend, there is unfortunately damage to Casterton Fell from the CRO Landrover accessing Lancaster Hole.

RRCPC will be undertaking works Sunday 19th Jan to remediate this before the winter weather has the opportunity to make it worse. If anyone is free this Saturday to assist we'd welcome the extra pairs of hands.

Equipment needed: Rakes, spades, forks, a mattock might be useful. Please ensure you mark your personal equipment e.g. with gear tape.

Meet at Bull Pot Farm, ready to go at 10:30am.

Please can you let the RRCPC Conservation Officer, Holly, know if you are coming (email conservation@rrcpc.org.uk). This will give her an idea of what numbers to expect, as well as the opportunity to contact you directly should any plans change, such as due to bad weather.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

CNCC

A short report on how things went and a few photos:

https://cncc.org.uk/news/20200127-casterton-fell-remediation

It is of course extremely saddening the events that led to this project happening. Nonetheless, this is an example of cavers working to conserve not only caves, but the access routes to them and any remediation needed due to that access. Thank you so much to Holly and the team for putting in the effort to make this happen, under what must have been at times quite sombre circumstances.

Other conservation writeups can be found here:

https://cncc.org.uk/conservation/projects.php

Pitlamp

Well done all.

That photo brings back fond memories of a similar exercise when a bunch of us did conservation work on Casterton Fell a few years back. That one was organised by Ray Duffy; I remember the grub he fed us with that weekend was excellent and plentiful!

I'd have liked to have given you a hand but I had a commitment that day; sorry.