What happened to Great Douk Pot?

Dave254

Afternoon all,

I was having a potter around near Great Douk this afternoon and Great Douk Pot appears to have disappeared and been filled in (the scaffolded entrance with a ladder attached to the side that used to be in the depression where the Great Douk entrance is).  There is a just a small pile of boulders where it used to be.

Whats the story behind it getting filled in?

Dave254

Somewhat sheepishly I have managed to answer my own question after a few minutes on google...

https://cncc.org.uk/news/stabilising-the-great-douk-dig

Its still there there entrance has just been replaced and fits into the landscape better than it used to (its under a few small rocks!)

Cavematt

Seems I'm way too slow at replying to this...

But it is a good opportunity for me to shamelessly promote the benefits of following the CNCC on Facebook, or watching for news stories on our website homepage to keep up to date with these kinds of things  ;)

An article on this work will also be appearing in the upcoming CNCC newsletter (which should be out in the next few weeks).

Matt Ewles
Secretary
Council of Northern Caving Clubs

Alex

Well done in sorting it, Its not clear, but am I to take it, it's no longer a free climb? There is no mention of the rigging in that article, from the pictures it looks like a pitch now? It's a pity it can't remain a free climb used to be a nice diversion if wandering around there without any vertical kit. I guess its also best on ladders? Well I guess my one and only ladder needs an outing sometime!

kay

It's no longer a free climb. Sorry that means cavers can't go down on a whim, but it also means non-cavers are tempted into exploring it.

mch

kay said:
It's no longer a free climb. Sorry that means cavers can't go down on a whim, but it also means non-cavers are tempted into exploring it.

Or hopefully aren't tempted into exploring it!

kay

mch said:
kay said:

Or hopefully aren't tempted into exploring it!

Yes.

Sometimes one wishes for an edit function that doesn't time-out.

shotlighter

kay said:
Have cavers ever been able to go down here on a whim?
I know they were erected on many mine entrances but never heard of one on a cave. (with the possible exception of Gaping Gill).
:sneaky:

Antwan

shotlighter said:
kay said:
Have cavers ever been able to go down here on a whim?
I know they were erected on many mine entrances but never heard of one on a cave. (with the possible exception of Gaping Gill).
:sneaky:

Had to read that twice  :cry:  :LOL: :bow: