Settle Hydro : Help needed

Ian Ball

The Settle Hydro electric plant at Bridge End Mill is looking for volunteers.

I contacted Steve regarding the webcam which has ceased to be and if I could help out at all, te idea of reusing an industrial heritage site for a clean energy project has always impressed me and I usually stop by on the way out of Settle to watch the magic happen so to speak!  Steve replied with an explanation and the following areas of help they need.  The primary one being the Screen Cleaning task.  Sadly I am not local (hence the mention of remote work)  I have offered to start putting a bit more info onto Twitter as there is an account which has been dormant since 2011.  Interestingly the webcam supplier has gone awol on them and so they are looking for help there.

However, I was thinking that cavers would be just the people to get involved with the boulder clearing task?  and perhaps we can help in the rest of the areas too?

Ian B.

Webcam : Identify a new webcam supplier and arrange installation and commissioning.

Screen Cleaning : This is a twice daily task at this time of year when the hydro is generating. It involves clearing leaves and branches from the inlet screen with a rake. It is done from above the screen with no requirement to enter the water.

Marketing/PR : We are always looking for people with Marketing/PR skills who would be able to help us promote the hydro to potential members. This can be done remotely!

Engineering: We have a need for people with expertise in water flow who can help us in meeting the increasingly technical demands from the Environment Agency. This can be done remotely

Boulder Clearing: Some time next year we will need to put together a team of people to enter the river just upstream of the fishpass in order to remove the boulder and gravel shoal that has built up and is compromising water flow through the hydro and fishpass.

If anyone is really keen, we are always on the lookout for additional (voluntary) directors to help with the ongoing management of the society.

If any of your fellow cavers are able to assist us in any way we would be very grateful. 

Regarding the engineering ? the main time consuming tasks at the moment are preparing applications for permits to work in the river bed ? removing boulders is the one currently in hand. The next one will be repairs to the weir. We really need help from someone who knows a bit about fish who can advise us and help us to counter claims that our work will have adverse effects on fish spawning. Could be an angler friendly to our cause?  Anyone who knows about white-clawed crayfish would be invaluable during the boulder moving operation. The immediate need is for drawings and diagrams to be prepared and access to an engineering graphics programme would be useful.

Best wishes

Steve Amphlett
Settle Hydro

I'd be willing to lend a hand with the boulder business and will also speak to my ecologist friend about fish / crayfish.

Matt

adam

Also happy to help with boulder/gravel shifting. Do we get in touch via their website?

Minion

I may be able to help with the engineering (remotely), I work in the energy department of a water company. My masters is in renewables engineering. If I can?t help, I may be able to get advice for our hydro engineers.

Ian Ball

Wow! There we go, thank you all.  Minion you sound like you know your onions and yes please MJenkinson.

Further info on the boulder/silt clearing, it will be between June and September when access to the river can be requested, the permit application and such like needs to be acquired first which is also something the society is asking for advice on.

The chair of the organisation is Steve Amphlett who's contact details are on the website, though I always delay posting an email address into the public domain so to speak.

The twitter account is here

@SettleHydroLtd

which is something I have taken over and hope to promote the site a little.

have you seen the energy local project in bethesda ? uses local power to sell to locals to reduce their power bills and pays the hydro more!

Ian Ball

(y)

I've not heard back from Steve yet but I expect to soon, and will probably be chasing email addresses.

Ian B.

Ian Ball

The wheels are in motion for Minion!  I saw the email of the engineering discussion and I will admit to being overwhelmed, hopefully Minion can get that going in the right direction.

Nearer the time June to September next year, there will no doubt be another call for volunteers for the river work, elbow grease is about all I can offer to help with as the discussion is actually quite complex between the Hydro team and the fishing rights holder upstream who regard all entry to the river as a potential danger to the fish spawning grounds upstream.  I am presenting a laymans understanding here but perhaps someone is able to Minion help the team with regard to working with rivers and fisheries?

Ian B.

Minion

Thanks for the prompt! I got so wrapped up in my Masters thesis a few weeks ago I totally forgot to reply.

I?ll have a look back at the email tonight and see what help I?ll be.