What is Readybrek? (or what food adventures have you had in the last two weeks)

alastairgott

Wow!
A watery gruel, I didn't think it would be that when I picked it up off the shelf.  :yucky:

Oh well, least I've got some sausages to look forward to later... "plant based sausages"  :cry: :LOL:

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Have bought an air fryer so can make chips

...and have planted lots of veg seeds, should plant some spuds really #diggingforvictory  ;)

Boy Engineer

...and have planted lots of veg seeds, should plant some spuds really #diggingforvictory  ;)

I?d definitely plant spuds if you plan to make chips. Choose a quick growing variety.

AR

alastairgott said:
Wow!
A watery gruel, I didn't think it would be that when I picked it up off the shelf.  :yucky:

Oh well, least I've got some sausages to look forward to later... "plant based sausages"  :cry: :LOL:

Halve the quantity of milk suggested and put plenty of sugar/syrup on it, otherwise it just tastes like cardboard that's been left out in the rain...

PeteHall

Pegasus said:

Planted my spuds yesterday  :sneaky:

Tommy

Boy Engineer said:

I?d definitely plant spuds if you plan to make chips. Choose a quick growing variety.

Aubergine fries with black treacle is fantastic. Grow Aubergines :D

CatM

Topimo said:
Boy Engineer said:

Whenever I've tried to grow aubergines they get infested with greenfly. I gave up with them last year, it got so bad. Some spuds will be going in today/tomorrow though.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member

Sounds weird but will give it a go - recipe??

Attachments

• 20200324_074958.jpg
    20200324_074958.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 169

Tommy

Chop
(thin fries/julienne).

Fry
(hot) not sure about air friers, I like my arteries well insulated.

Douse
(as much of the gloop as you can handle, actually no be sensible so you can eat enough without feeling ill.

JJ

Thanks Andys for the Ready Brek TV add of old, along with the spoof. As a fairly regular user of Clapham station I knew of the add having been filmed there, but could not remember it from my youth - excellent  :clap:

tamarmole

alastairgott said:
Wow!

You youngsters should count yourself lucky.  In the 1970s Readybreak was the only food we had, morning noon and night.  It wasn't until the discovery of cheese in 1982 that things started to get better.  The younger generation don't know they're born!  And another thing.... Corvid 19, call that a disease, when I were a lad we had foot and mouth, now that was a proper disease, we couldn't go caving for most of the decade.

I think I'll stop now as the attendants are coming.

ttxela2

tamarmole said:
alastairgott said:
Wow!

You youngsters should count yourself lucky.  In the 1970s Readybreak was the only food we had, morning noon and night.  It wasn't until the discovery of cheese in 1982 that things started to get better.  The younger generation don't know they're born!  And another thing.... Corvid 19, call that a disease, when I were a lad we had foot and mouth, now that was a proper disease, we couldn't go caving for most of the decade.

I think I'll stop now as the attendants are coming.

Here in Cambridgeshire in the 70's we dined like kings on prawn cocktail, fondue & arctic roll!

Speleotron

I don't have a garden so I'm growing radishes indoors. Seems to be a good return on investment in terms of strength of flavour / space taken up.

andys

JJ said:
Thanks Andys for the Ready Brek TV add of old, along with the spoof. As a fairly regular user of Clapham station I knew of the add having been filmed there, but could not remember it from my youth - excellent  :clap:

My pleasure! Its a bit quiet now though - no trains for the last few days!

Tommy

Speleotron said:
I don't have a garden so I'm growing radishes indoors. Seems to be a good return on investment in terms of strength of flavour / space taken up.

Cellar mushrooms - or in a dingy cupboard?

Jenny P

alastairgott said:
Wow!

One reason I took to eating it (neat but with milk and sugar) while I was still working, was that it was the quietest breakfast cereal to eat - I hated the snap crackle and pop or crunch noises early in the morning.

Now I eat it cut half-and half with a good muesli and sliced white grapes or chopped apple on top.  A good bowl of this, even with cold milk, is a pretty good starter for the morning.

alastairgott

Its getting better, had less of a watery mix today, i'll be able to stick my spade up in it soon, like concrete.

potato, onion, leek and carrot soup for lunch. you should see the bag of Tatties I picked up! proper stuff, with the mud still on them, the size of 2 fists each!