Naica Cave - Mexico's Cave of Crystals

cap n chris

Nice eye candy; in true BBC tradition the educational element seems levelled at the UK's lowest intellectual category. S'good stuff for the masses.

cap n chris

Indeedy, Peter: as a youngster I used to revel over Horizon but the more recent incarnations of it are execrable pap.

If only BBC (and other channels) could get the quality of the narrative content to match the fabulous photography. That would be worth watching with the sound on.

ttxela

cap 'n chris said:
Nice eye candy; in true BBC tradition the educational element seems levelled at the UK's lowest intellectual category. S'good stuff for the masses.

I didn't think it was that bad, then again perhaps they just found my level...... :unsure:

Bob G

cap 'n chris said:
Peter Burgess said:
That's exactly what I thought. Long gone are the days of intelligent science on BBC2. Remember those days?

Did both of you really not find the clip stunning?
I'm sure you're both good blokes, but why do you have to pour your charmlessness on things like this?
Your Mother should have told you - if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything.

underwhere

Brilliant pictures, negligible science/geology, excitable but uninformative script, continuity errors in the Qanat underground canal.
Oh, for the Horizons of yesteryear.

RobinGriffiths

Old OU Geology videos are what you really need. A great one with Leslie Judd explaining the significance of the Rookhope borehole comes highly recommended.

Robin

Peter Burgess

underwhere said:
Brilliant pictures, negligible science/geology, excitable but uninformative script, continuity errors in the Qanat underground canal.
Oh, for the Horizons of yesteryear.
It would have been better on radio, but only with a good sound engineer, don't you think?  ;)

RobinGriffiths

http://www.manataka.org/~manataka/page1985.html

I've been looking on the web for some sort of conservation statement on the caves, but the only stuff I come across are sites with pictures of people walking on and touching the crystals. Given the uniqueness of the formation I would not have expected this. If you were to walk on a pristine calcite floor in muddy boots in this country you would be crucified. So, do they have some strange system of boot exchange to ensure that you only walk on the crystals in soft, mega clean slipper type footwear or what?

Robin

owd git

RobinGriffiths said:
Do they actually let people walk up crystals as shown in some of the pics on their website, or are they photo-shopped in. I've yet to see any marker tape.

If I was paranoid, I might think this was some elaborate hoax!

Robin
Glad i'm not the only one. thank you!
O. G.

ttxela

RobinGriffiths said:
http://www.manataka.org/~manataka/page1985.html

I've been looking on the web for some sort of conservation statement on the caves, but the only stuff I come across are sites with pictures of people walking on and touching the crystals. Given the uniqueness of the formation I would not have expected this. If you were to walk on a pristine calcite floor in muddy boots in this country you would be crucified. So, do they have some strange system of boot exchange to ensure that you only walk on the crystals in soft, mega clean slipper type footwear or what?

Robin

Could this be something to do with the plan to let the chamber re-flood once they've finished mining?

RobinGriffiths

Could this be something to do with the plan to let the chamber re-flood once they've finished mining?

Possibly, but if someone decided that the new Head of the Valleys road was to destroy Craig a Ffynnon in 10 years, I wouldn't be getting all my mates to wear orange boiler suits with company logos on the back to go and stand on calcite floors to be photographed before it's too late.

Are there any links to actual science being done at this site ?

Robin