Caves of the World

EwanCameron

Hi All

I am looking at doing a lot of overseas caving next year and am trying to get a list of the cave I would love to go and see around the world  :clap:

If you have done a lot of overseas caving can you post your TOP 5 CAVES AND WHY

Plz add as much info about the cave as you can so that I can look into it for my trip

Yours
Ewan

Andy Sparrow

EwanCameron said:
Hi All

I am looking at doing a lot of overseas caving next year and am trying to get a list of the cave I would love to go and see around the world  :clap:

If you have done a lot of overseas caving can you post your TOP 5 CAVES AND WHY

Plz add as much info about the cave as you can so that I can look into it for my trip

Yours
Ewan

I am so cynical these days.  Ewan, you may be really genuine in asking for all this detailed information on your first posting, but it's also a hell of an easy way to get an assignment written for you!

rhychydwr1

Dear Ewan

Your request is not very clear.  Are you a super caver who will solo the Berger one day and PSM the next or do you want a liesurely trip around some show caves?  For the latter have a look at my website:

www.showcaves.com

EwanCameron

Hi All

This is not school work this is 100% I am planning this trip and really need info on the best caves as I will only event get one shot at this trip and do not wish to get home from it and then find out I have missed one !

I am looking the a mix of trips I cave well and are happy with most trips I have done in the UK am good with SRT Big and Small

Just looking for a bit of info really will check out the website

Yours
Ewan

Andy Sparrow

Okay, Ewan, fair enough.  I'll give you an answer.  It's an obvious one - The Gouffre Berger.  But if you want something both superb and easy try Krizna Jama in Slovenia.

cap n chris

Andy Sparrow said:
Okay, Ewan, fair enough.  I'll give you an answer.  It's an obvious one - The Gouffre Berger. 

That will be an amazing solo trip but shouldn't he have applied for the permit 2-3 years ago?

Alex

I am so cynical these days.  Ewan, you may be really genuine in asking for all this detailed information on your first posting, but it's also a hell of an easy way to get an assignment written for you!

Really an assignment would ask these questions? Can you get a degree in caving? If so where do I sign up! (not like I could afford the fee's for a second degree though)

AA Speleo

cap 'n chris said:
Andy Sparrow said:
Okay, Ewan, fair enough.  I'll give you an answer.  It's an obvious one - The Gouffre Berger. 

That will be an amazing solo trip but shouldn't he have applied for the permit 2-3 years ago?
Could possibly Blag a place with a UK group who have a booking for next year.

Andy Sparrow

Alex said:

Really an assignment would ask these questions? Can you get a degree in caving? If so where do I sign up! (not like I could afford the fee's for a second degree though)

Alex, Have you got any idea how many students in this country are doing outdoor adventure related courses?

AA Speleo

To get back on Topic, perhaps Ewan could elaborate on which countries he is thinking of visiting, or whether it is just Europe, USA etc.

In France alone there are a fantastic amount of thoroughly excellent trips (Berger) included.

cap n chris

AA Speleo said:
To get back on Topic, perhaps Ewan could elaborate on which countries he is thinking of visiting, or whether it is just Europe, USA etc.

(y)

Indeed. Also, it would be very useful if other outline information was available since that would help people determine a suitable range of suggestions, i.e.:

Is Ewan going on his own or in a group?
How much equipment (rope/rigging metalwork) is available?
Is is fly/drive or ferry/drive?
Is it for sporting endeavour, pretties, exploration, scientific research?
What itinerary is envisaged?

SamT

generally if I were on a round the world trip caving on various continents I'd  go do something big in mexico.  something in N. america. something in Mulu. and the berger in france.

You could just spend an awesome time in Europe though,  A week or two in the Vercors, a week or two in Slovenia, a week in Matienzo, for starters, with Albania, Austria, Andelucia and err, something else beginning with A go at also.  Perhaps some lava tubes somewhere exotic and warm. 

Fulk

One of the most remarkable caves I've been to in Europe is Torca del Carlista, in N. spain ? in fact it's not far from Matienzo.
The entrance is a 153-m pitch, the first 60 m or so of which are in a shaft of relatively modest dimensions ? maybe 2 by 1.5 m ? so it feels quite 'user-friendly', but then you find yourself on a sloping ledge on one side of a 'slit' that's about 15 m long and 1.5 m wide, with 90+ m of fresh air below you, in the roof of the largest cavern in Europe; by the time you've descended 6 or 7 m, you can see sweet Fanny Adams, as you dangle in space. Gob-smacking!

mrodoc

Fulk said:
One of the most remarkable caves I've been to in Europe is Torca del Carlista, in N. spain ? in fact it's not far from Matienzo.
The entrance is a 153-m pitch, the first 60 m or so of which are in a shaft of relatively modest dimensions ? maybe 2 by 1.5 m ? so it feels quite 'user-friendly', but then you find yourself on a sloping ledge on one side of a 'slit' that's about 15 m long and 1.5 m wide, with 90+ m of fresh air below you, in the roof of the largest cavern in Europe; by the time you've descended 6 or 7 m, you can see sweet Fanny Adams, as you dangle in space. Gob-smacking!

Pass - as far as I'm concerned :eek:

EwanCameron

Hi All

Thanks for more info and its given me things to start looking at

Sorry you all need a bit more info so here you go

We are looking at doing a round the world trip in two 4x4's with more caving and climbing kit than you can POKE WITH A SHITTY STICK bit of a mix why we are going and info is not 100% yet with lots of options and we have to have the plan 100% before we can talk to people. Looks like we might have 8 of us in all 6 caving and 2 support

Keep em coming
Ewan

EwanCameron

It's a idea I have been working on for a bit now I have the skills and knolage in caving as well as exbedition planning as well as leading all I need is the cave info and some other willing team !