Giant gypsum crystals

paul

I thought "so what" - until I saw the silhouette of the caver!

Bloody hell - they're enormous!!

menacer

Flip....it looks like supermans home......I thought it might have been clark kent in the photo but he wasnt wearing his pants on the outside  ;)

E

emgee

Peter Burgess said:
Cor blimey. How long before someone tries to flog one of those on ebay?

Oh come on something that good you put through Christies not ebay.

Elaine

Call me stupid (yes, it is ok, you can) but these are ordinary sized crystals aren't they. They have just found some very tiny people to photograph amongst them.

Rob

Last year, browsing through the caves section of the BBC's Planet Earth book, i noticed picture from here with a bloke in for scale. I was appalled because I was totally convinced that he was photoshoped into a "normal" lechuguilla photo, and that that was very bad of the BBC! My appologies!

mrodoc

Nice double page shot of those crystals in yesterdays Guardian newspaper - which is available on line as well.

footleg

I know this thread is quite old, but if I start another one then Cap n Chris will only post a link in it pointing back to this thread, so....

Just got sent this link to some photographs of the Naica mine on National Geographic website:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/11/crystal-giants/crystals-photography

Nice photographs and a bit more information that I have seen before.

Looks like they have a program being show in the USA on them too (tonight 10pm in the USA)
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/giant-crystal-cave-3569/Overview#tab-cave-crystal-giants-4

I wonder if it will make it onto British TV?

Elaine

I think I am in a minority of one here, but I still think this is a big joke and they are not real.

Ed W

I was lucky enough to sit and listen to the stories of someone who has visted Naica recently.  Suffice to say that the conditions are horendous, hence the devlopment of special suits to allow cavers to spend more than two minutes in the chamber.  Apparently each of the cavers was even hooked up to heart monitors etc to ensure that they would not peg out in the extreme heat.

If these crystals are a hoax, then someone is going to REALLY great lengths to get people to believe, including bribing cavers!

Ed

graham

Ed W said:
If these crystals are a hoax, then someone is going to REALLY great lengths to get people to believe, including bribing cavers!

Ed

Yeah but most cavers will do anything for a couple of beers.  :beer:

francis

Elaine said:
I think I am in a minority of one here, but I still think this is a big joke and they are not real.

A friend of mine has been there, and I have seen photos of him + crystals. IMO they are definitely real!

Francis